Thread: Canon XL1

Default Canon XL1

How much should I expect to pay for a good used XL1. And can it be used alongside a Sony DCR-VX2100? Would there be a significant difference in the quality, colour etc.?

Blog Entries

Price - check e bay for finished auctions for a guide.

Quality / look - About the same quality I would say with small variations. You will probably find that you will need to do some work in post to get the footage to look the same.

edit

I should add that I have never compared these cameras directly but I have used both. Personally I would sum up the differences this way - canon, bright and sharp. Sony, softer and gentler.

I expect with a bit of colour tweaking they wiull be fine side by side.
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-18-2007 at 05:29 PM.

I use an XL1s and a Sony TR950; there's hardly any tweaking needed to get a good match if your careful about your white balance. The focus when on auto is a little less reliable on the Canon, but I think both are excellent cams.

I've done a few weddings and do's for chums, although not commercially. In general I've used the little TR950 on a tripod, and shouldered the XL, which works best because shouldering the bigger cam gives the most stable picture.

Both camera have been used for broadcast work with no problems.

They're both for sale if you're interested!
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Thanks for the info. How much are you selling your cameras for?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellrobs View Post
    Thanks for the info. How much are you selling your cameras for?
    Well, I was offered 1200 for the pair as a trade-in on a PD170 kit, so I guess around that or a bit better . . . probably later in February. I'll stick them on Ebay if I don't sell them before.
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

yeah at last something I understand....we use a Canon Xl1 and a VX2100 and from my (sorry our experience....must stop using the singular) we've come to the conclusion that
    1) the Canon has richer colours, very slight but easy to match
    2) the VX2100 is easier to use....especially when you cant get your eye near the viewfinder on the Canon (no flip out screen)
    3) the Sony works better in lower light
    4) the Canon has a better facility for additional audio feeds 2 stereo pairs I need to ask my other half I'm the Sony man
    5) the battery on my Sony lasts about 8 or 9 hours

Thanks for the replies. Must admit I am very happy with the Sony, superb results especially in low light conditions.

Exclamation Want to buy some used video kit.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Well, I was offered 1200 for the pair as a trade-in on a PD170 kit, so I guess around that or a bit better . . . probably later in February. I'll stick them on Ebay if I don't sell them before.
    I'd be interested at 1200, maybe more depending on what condition they're in and what comprises each kit.

Blog Entries

Please note that this thread is a year old...