Thread: Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0: Big Project Problem

Exclamation Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0: Big Project Problem

Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

So I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9 for about a year now and 2 days ago I decided to switch over to a more decent program. When I first bought Premiere Elements 3.0 I installed it and everything was working fine. I decided I would give the program a test by editing some vacation footage. I worked on it one night, saved it, and continued work on it the next day with no problem. When I was finished, I made a .wmv of it to see how it turned out, and realized that it needed some changes.

When I opened up the project file, the video clips wouldn't load. The entire timeline was correct but it wasn't showing the picture of the video on it, so therefore it wouldn't play. Anytime I tryed to export or anything it would just freeze on me.

But heres the weirdest part, its just the project file. I can do it all over again if I wanted to and I think it would be fine. Is the project file corrupt or something?

Please help and thanks in advance,
    -Drew

Sounds like the project file is corrupt somehow. I;ve never used Premiere Elements so can't know for sure.

Here's a trick that sometimes works in other Adobe apps and you may be able to use it in Elements. Start a new project and import the old project into it. This can somtime salvage otherwise unopenable Adobe projects and allow you to keep most of what was in there. Not bullet proof but sometimes helps.

Best advice I can give though is to wokr wiht a good backup strategy. Save often and with dfifferent names so you never lose much if at all. Easy to say that now I suppose butit is good practice.

Default Thank you Alan

Before your post I tryed reinstalling the program and then it worked fine. An hour later I opened up the project and it wasn't working yet again.

Then I read your post but your method still didn't work. It's all good though, I'm reinstalling it once again now, then I'm just going to export and trash all remnants of the demon.

Thanks though, I will remember to save often and under different names.

I don't exactly know how "premiere elements" deals with this but "premiere pro" has a folder called "adobe premiere pro auto-save"
    This folder contains projectfiles which are saved automaticly every 10 minutes
    If you would have a corrupt projectfile you can always open one of the previously saved projects with just a bit of work lost.

once is a coincidense, saving files and not being able to re-open them again repeatedly sounds like there may be somethign sinister going on. I've never had any issues with any Adobe product before and I've used them a lot for years.

Have you checked your disk(s) for error recerntly and performed a proper defrag and do you have loads of disk space free and have you done a good viruscheck lately? etc etc

The problem hasn't occured since then.

well i was going to make a new post but i just found what i needed here. thanks for the tip about making a new project and then drag the old one into it...it worked, you just saved me about 3 weeks work.

Quote Originally Posted by lakes View Post
    well i was going to make a new post but i just found what i needed here. thanks for the tip about making a new project and then drag the old one into it...it worked, you just saved me about 3 weeks work.
    You're welcome. And congrats on doing a search to find your answer rather than asking it again.