Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I delete a miniDV tape?

Default How do I delete a miniDV tape?

Hi,

I've recently bought a SONY DCR-HC35E camcorder and everything's lookin' good except I've got 2 quick questions:

1. How do I transfer pictures ONLY from the camcorder to my PC?
    2. How do I delete what's on the miniDV tape?

Any replies/help would be great since the instruction manual doesn't mention this.

Cheers,

Kesh

I don't think you can erase a tape like you would a CD or disket. From what I know, the only way to do it is to tape over it.

as for the photos. I saw in the specs for the camera that it has no separate storage for photos, so the photos are still images with sound recorded on the tape. I think there is an option in Ulead video studio to look only for photos, but i can't remember where exactly since i'm at work atm. It has to be in the "capture" section.

hope this helped

Yep, you can't delete a tape as explained. I suppose you could just degauss the whole thing wiht big magents I suppose but why would you want to?

Whjat are you tryign to achieve by 'deleteing' the tape? Are you just looking to reuse it? If so then just rewind it and hit record again - just like a video casssette - which is all it is after all.

I never re-use tapes as I may want the footage again one day.

And, did you mean pictures in the sense of photos are do you just want to capture the video image but with no sound? You capture s/w should (mine does I think) have the option on what you want to capture. video only/sound only/video and sound. If not and you are going to edit the footage anyway (which I hope you are) then forget it and 'remove' the sound in the edit process.

Quote Originally Posted by gimlystats View Post
    I don't think you can erase a tape like you would a CD or disket. From what I know, the only way to do it is to tape over it.

as for the photos. I saw in the specs for the camera that it has no separate storage for photos, so the photos are still images with sound recorded on the tape. I think there is an option in Ulead video studio to look only for photos, but i can't remember where exactly since i'm at work atm. It has to be in the "capture" section.

hope this helped
    Thanx, I will try the ULead software.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Yep, you can't delete a tape as explained. I suppose you could just degauss the whole thing wiht big magents I suppose but why would you want to?

Whjat are you tryign to achieve by 'deleteing' the tape? Are you just looking to reuse it? If so then just rewind it and hit record again - just like a video casssette - which is all it is after all.

I never re-use tapes as I may want the footage again one day.

And, did you mean pictures in the sense of photos are do you just want to capture the video image but with no sound? You capture s/w should (mine does I think) have the option on what you want to capture. video only/sound only/video and sound. If not and you are going to edit the footage anyway (which I hope you are) then forget it and 'remove' the sound in the edit process.
    Thanks for clearing that up; I noticed that each time I record some footage onto the tape, it goes right at the start?!
    I'm only looking to make more space since I'd just received the camera and I took a few mins of movies as a test run.

As for the photos, I've taken a few still images on the camera but cant seem to extract them alone to my laptop. I tried the USB streaming tool (which is what the instruction manual recommends) but that only shows me the vids.
    Any ideas on this one? But maybe I should try fiddling with th eoptions on the capture tool as you say...
    Thanks again!

When can i download the Ulead software and have a free try ?

Quote Originally Posted by cnun View Post
    When can i download the Ulead software and have a free try ?
    I'm not familiar with Ulead s/w but assuming they have a downloadable trial version then I'm sure you can download it anytime.

One more thing: use Firewire instead of USB. 'Recommended' is crap.

Unhappy

No luck, yet!

I've tried the capture device but its only showing the videos on the tape, not the photos.
    To eliminate any doubt, I used a fresh miniDV tape and recorded NO VIDEO but ONLY PHOTOS; however, on connecting to my laptop and using the capture tool, it showed absolutely nothing!

Has anyone here used the same model camcorder to take photos?

Blog Entries

According to THIS page, the camera takes stills to a memory stick (not included). Always helps to read the manual!

So, have you bought one and popped it in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast