Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mics - Yes they matter - demonstration

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    TBH I was suprised at the poor showing of the Rode - I think I will investigate further, I dont want to mislead.
    Did you try it on both settings?

Blog Entries

Ah, that could be it.

The rode has a switch that appears to be 'flat' or 'treble lift', perhaps flat is more like a treble cut. I always use my mics on the flat setting, will try it.

This may sound like an odd question, but how do you get these sounds onto your computer? How do you turn analog into digital? I'm asking because apparently the only option we've been able to come up with involves some several hundred-thousand dollar multi adapter and I keep thinking there must be some better way.

We tried plugging a mic into our digital camera but the engine of the camera almost drowned out any sound we did capture with it.

Blog Entries

I just record into my camera, easy.

* Update *

I have fiddled with the rode again - treble lift didnt really help that much, overall I still found it dissapointing. I may have a bad one but given the results I have achieved with this mic any prospective purchaser is advised to make further investigations.

I find it interesting that you are not that impressed with RODE mics. Perhaps it is something that you are not doing right or using the wrong type of RODE mic for the situation.

I have used just about every conceivable type of mic. I have several rode mics depending on the situation. i have never found better. Location type stuff, you can even use the nt3 which is an incredible little mic.

But maybe you should learn more about the mics and for what situations.

Regards,
    Gary

http://www.wavtracks.com

Blog Entries

With all respect Gary, Rodes are very much cheaper mics. Originally all made in China they're not intended for top "professional" recording but are budget mics. A lot of people have problems with their coloration, for example.

There's a reason why you won't find Rodes in any professional recording studio but Shure SM58s in abundance. As for location recording, Sennheiser and Schoeps are the top of the league, you should try them if you haven't found anything better than Rode, they'll knock your socks off.

Edit: The Rode videomic is very much a "poor man's sennheiser 300" and the quality is not good. Once you start taking your video sound seriously, then the Rode falls by the wayside. In the same way Rode's attempts to break into the budget "shotgun" market with the NTG-1 and NTG-2 failed (They're often referred to as the Not Too Good one and the Not Too Good two). In the budget and semi-pro arena, either the Sennheiser K6 system or the Audio Technica range are far better.

For value-for-money large diaphram condensers, Rode are certainly up there in the running, speaking as the owner of an NT2a, but for video-sound... nah!
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries

My comments are confined to the rode video mic, the 70 quid one.

I can assure you I have used it properly, as in I plugged it into a camera and made a noise - not too hard to get that right eh....

I was not only dissapointed with the results but the daft and inefective suspension is a waste of money on such a mic, and those rubber bands soon break.

edit

TBH I was suprised this mic didnt perform better - maybe the one i purchased was a dud? I would be more then happy to repeat the test on another mic but I sure aint going to buy another to do so.
    Last edited by Mark W; 03-05-2007 at 08:57 PM.

I don't know what the fuss about mics is all about... I just get a pianist to play during the film!!!! You'll be wanting colour next.

On a serious point (which, being that I am a first time poster and only joined in order to post it, should probably have come first). I agree with all comments about the importance of the right mic (I'm not an expert but work in radio station and spend too long in the engineers den). But would add, don't just assume that the bigger price label, the better the mic will suit your needs. The SM58 has been mentioned, but as people have found, it is not ideal for video work, simply because the mic is designed to be used very close to the mouth. It is packed full of foam to muffle breathy pops and designed to cope with the dominant bass that close talking gives. A condenser rifle mic (with a purpose built wind shield) will give a much better result if the mic is just out of shot.

John

Blog Entries

The SM58, indeed I agree - I only use mine as a 'reporters mic' and for that it is just fine and dandy.

i have that same rode shotgun mic and its records amazing sound, maybe those arent the same models, like maybe the one i have might be a few years newer, but they look bascially the same. weird

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast