Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premiere Pro - jerky playback

Default Premiere Pro - jerky playback

hey guys
    i have a problem with my adobe premiere 1.5.

when it comes to playback, the source monitor provides a perfectly smooth playback of the clip, but as soon as i add it to the timeline and view it through the program monitor, playback becomes jerky, and frames are dropping like there's no tomorrow.

i'm quite sure it's not a hardware insufficiency, as it runs smoothly in the source monitor. i googled for solutions but i haven't found anyone with the same problem - most people with similar issues [where playback stutters] can't play in the source window either. i've tried defragmenting the drive, nonetheless, and have rendered the workspace more times than i care to remember.

it's quite frustrating, i can't view edited footage before exporting, which means i can't sync background music or anything like that ><

help would be greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

What is the source of the video? Generally Premiere is designed to work with DV source files only.

oh i see.. yeah the files are .mod files [renamed to .mpg] from a JVC hard-disc camcorder.

EDIT: actually i experimented with other file types, and they all ended up with the same problem [normal playback in the source monitor, and jerky playback in the program window] so i don't think it's simply because my files aren't DV.
    Last edited by kk.juiced; 01-14-2007 at 03:07 AM.

Default I have the same problem

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5, and I'm trying to use videos from the Prelinger Archive (archive.org) to put together a basic project. I have a narration track that I recorded myself (48,000 - 16 bit stereo), and I have had no problems importing both video and audio clips into the project.

Like kk.juiced, however, I see normal video in the source monitor window, but jerky video in the program monitor window. The audio runs normally in both windows.

Here's the question: if Premiere Pro is designed to work with only DV sources, then why does it allow the option of importing other kinds of clips? Surely there must be some way to work with other source material.... Can't it do a conversion of some sort?

And does anyone know the precise reason for the jerky video? How does Premiere's preference for DV sources translate into jerky performance in the program monitor? I don't get it....

I'm a newbie, though I have successfully cranked out some basic stuff using still images, narration, and an earlier version of Premiere. I thought that dropping all that money on Premiere Pro would expand my options, not limit them!

Blog Entries

Render the timeline before previewing or convert the video to DV first.

I suffered from jerky playback and video/audio out of sync on my pc with adobe premier 6.5 and premier pro 1.5.

The solution for me was to ugprade my computers RAM to 1536MB, and move the video
    footage i was editing onto a seperate hard drive from the system drive - i only have an old 32bit Athlon XP 3000+, so it needs all the help it can get.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    This should help you. Just to add a little help, you can render by merely pressing the return key.

Good Luck!

sorry for being a noob here and reviving an ancient thread but i'm currently having the same problem. If at least someone could explain to me why it runs fine in the source monitor and jerks like all hell in the playback monitor i would be... well not necessarily happy but more educated.

Blog Entries

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but try:

lol, its fine. I am grateful for any and all help with this but I've been doing that and it has not quite worked. I'm on a new laptop that should definitely be able to support premiere and I absolutely refuse to go back to pinnacle after being so comfortable with premiere now. I guess in a sense I am looking for some imaginary, magic diagnostic I could run to tell me what the problem was but obviously that doesnt exist (yet). I feel like I've tried everything by this point and I'm just stumped now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast