Thread: Wear on recording heads

Smile Wear on recording heads

Haven't posted for ages My loss! Good to see the forum is still going strong and there has been an increase in members.

I posted about 15 months ago about wear on recording heads ie. First striping the tape - record one hours film - one hour download to PC = 3 hours wear to heads'and ending up with 10/15 mins useable film. -- How much film will I amass before I have to renew the heads ???
    Canon UK couldnt give me an answer so I attended my psychiatrist and he's talked me over my phobia !!!

Anyhow i was messing around over the xmas hols. with my Canon XM2 and I actually shot a short piece of film with my camera without using the Mini DV tape - I recorded straight to a DVd disc without pressing the record buttonon my camera! - I used the set up shown in my sketch and I could see on my t/v screen what was being recorded to dvd disc which was exactly as seen on the Canon LCD sreen --- Dont ask me to explain the how it works -- Im a retired Blacksmith and Im used to working with heavy hammers (not tech. literate)

This is an example using the above method OK its C**p but i was practicing to see if I could Zoom - Pan - change settings etc .. Just hope it hasn't damaed the Cam..

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/attachm...1&d=1168560020

wiring diag.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

There's a general theory that heads should be replaced or refurbished after a thousand hours' recording. Although that doesn't take into account the time spent in "rec-pause" mode, it still means that you need to start worrying after you've put a thousand tapes through your camcorder!

In fact a lot of broadcasters sell their camcorders when the hours approach the magical millenium and they still go on to lead productive lives for years and years and years.

Blog Entries

Welcome back. I 'recognised' you by that cool avatar, well I think it's cool.

Strikes me you are going have to carry a lot of gear with this method of filming.

If you have 3500 quid spare and dont mind 10 minute recording times here is another soloution to your phobia.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-HVX200

I am sure this is the future of camcorders in a few years.

A final piece of calming info - I have had my oldest camera for 4 years nearly - a first gen sony vx9000e, it was very second hand from a guy who made commercial vids. For the first 18 months I had it I had time on my hands recovering from being mega poorly and part of my recovery involved exercise so I went out nearly every day and filmed and filmed and filmed and captured and rewound anf captured.... you get the picture....

Anyway the camera still works fine - except for the fire wire post but I broke that tripping over the wire when the camera was plugged in !

Only problem I have had with that camera is a few tape jams / non eject situations and that turned out to be a faulty tape mechanism cos I only had 3 tapes and generally used a 90 minute tape over and over again.

One dropout per hour is considored normal for dv, more and it may be time for a clean / service.

Check this for a gadzillion cool facts about video recording - http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html

Thanks Mark good to be back. Checked out the web address you suggested re. facts on video recording, plenty to read there. - I was only experimenting with the method of recording without using the rec/heads and thought I would post it as it may have been of interest to anyone on the forum?? - I have now taken it a bit further and recorded through my Toshiba laptop straight to an external 250GB hard drive,were I downloaded it to Nero Vis. Express and edited it no problem ! - (250 Gb is a lot of recording time ) on my PC

Thanks also to The Guru for info on estimated life of rec/heads - Cheers all Alex C

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    If you have 3500 quid spare and dont mind 10 minute recording times here is another soloution to your phobia.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-HVX200

I am sure this is the future of camcorders in a few years.
    Or perhaps a Firestore?

Blog Entries

Oh yes - one of those panas with that firestore would make me quite happy....