Thread: Anyone offering directing training?

Default Anyone offering directing training?

I was wondering if anyone in London was offering any training for stater directors. I'm 17 and would like to get some experience.

Blog Entries

Phew - what a question... my advice is first to make loads of films, learn to use a camera and edit stuff, then look for courses and study like mad.

There are lots around both full time and part time. Persverance and hard work is what worked for me.

I started making stuff 3 years ago, listened to people, read lots of books, made a showreel and managed to get on an MA in documentry film making. After 2 years of hard study I hope to have the tools to direct something of merit.

What you have done really counts - I got on this course on the strength of my work to date and what i had taught myself, I have no other formal qualifications in this area, I think my passion for filmmaking is what really counted.

Why don't you join a local club? The video clubs in this country make loads of dramas, comedies and documentaries, and even if you don't get a Director's role straight off, it will give you experience. They have equipment too, which saves you buying your own.

Check out the IAC website for the nearest one to you. http://www.theiac.org.uk/

Check out some of their movies here. http://www.theiac.org.uk/resources/online.html

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

This is a really odd question, because it implies that directing (probably fiction?) movies is a specific career choice. Surely the route to director status needs to include a large lump of film/video technology, so you understand the tools, and a good dollop of theatrical (ie acting/stagecraft) background so you understand the theory and realities of translating the essentially theatrical activity of drama to the screen. You also need to be very smart and skilled at working with a number of highly talented people (actors and techies) who are often deeply self-centred and likely to disregard anything you say!

But the key ingredient, as both respondents to date have said, is knowledge and experience of film-making. Get a camcorder, get a cheap and simple editing system, start making films of some sort. If you're sufficiently driven, and sufficiently talented, then you might get somewhere. If you're not, you can look at other routes to a career.

A lot of people come to directing after a number of years working in film, TV or theatre, although some people short-circuit that by simply becoming film-makers - making their own, and this tends to happen with people who make music videos, etc. Even so, most of the "overnight success story" people have a backstory of five or ten years of hard graft behind them!

If you can't do any of that, or say it isn't possible, that you're probably not motivated enough to do the job.
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Blog Entries

Find somewhere to get your films screened, this helped me a great deal, instant feedback / criticism.

Near me we are lucky to have an indepedant cinema that does 'open screen' nights once a month - it's ace, you just turn up with a film and they show it - you really do get to see all sorts of things from arts council funded twaddle on 35mm to drunk people making it up as they go along (which are usually better).

So check out what is near you.

Any readers anywhere near bristol really should get along to a Bluescreen night at the cube microplex - drop me a pm and I might see u there.

http://microplex.cubecinema.com/cube...luescreen.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    ... you really do get to see all sorts of things ... drunk people making it up as they go along
    Sounds familiar!