Thread: Converting widescreen avi to windows media files

Default Converting widescreen avi to windows media files

Help!

basically i exagerated my abilities on my CV an now ive got to do a bunch of stuff that i cant figure out. so far ive imported widescreen digital video onto premiere, when i opened it in a windows media player it went back to small screen. SO, i opened it again in premiere and exported the time line with the 16:9 ratio and now that seems to work (even tho the quality seems a lil worse).

The problem now is theyve told me they want it converted to a windows media file (wma i think) to use online but when i try an do that (on premiere and windows movie maker) it changes back from widescreen to small screen again. Ive got windows media encoder, will that help?

I'm gettin so confused, so many videos to convert an the boss comes back tomorow!

Quote Originally Posted by kazzbasma View Post

Help!

basically i exagerated my abilities on my CV an now ive got to do a bunch of stuff that i cant figure out.
    Looks like you deserve what you've got then my friend! Sorry to sound so unsympathetic but I've been on the recieving end of a team hiring someone with 'exagerated capabilities' and it messes everything up.
    so far ive imported widescreen digital video onto premiere, when i opened it in a windows media player it went back to small screen. SO, i opened it again in premiere and exported the time line with the 16:9 ratio and now that seems to work (even tho the quality seems a lil worse).

The problem now is theyve told me they want it converted to a windows media file (wma i think) to use online but when i try an do that (on premiere and windows movie maker) it changes back from widescreen to small screen again. Ive got windows media encoder, will that help?
    Yes it will. You basically have to 'stretch your movie so that it is widescreen ratio. i.e. instead of 720x5nn (can't remember the number, sorry) stretch it out to 1024x5nn to get a widescreen presentation. That's what I've done.

I'm gettin so confused, so many videos to convert an the boss comes back tomorow!
    it truly is a nightmare for the noob. I'm still certainly no expert. I have half a dozen preset I use regularly. Any time I need to produce something different to my 'usual' then it often takes ages till I'm happy. Often, exporting is a bit of trial and error. You will find what works for you eventually though.

Thanks so much, i'll give that a try. I thought I'd pretty much got a grip on the basics of premiere but i never really change any of those settings for my own projects. Anyway, i'm only here on work experience, it wouldnt be so bad but they keep changing their minds and no one else has any experience in editing!

Thanks again.