Thread: Whats The Best Out There?

Default Whats The Best Out There?

I was wondering what is a good software out there right now that is pretty fast at rendering and it just great to work with. Also what computers are better handled for video editing. I have an Fast Dell but it doesn't seem to get the job done with the measely editing programs I have. The programs just tend to freeze up with the file sizes I use and take forever to render. I am not sure what to do. Any help on software referrals or computer information would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to edit something without having to render a the video after I cut or add a change to the timeline. Thank You in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by gtdude33 View Post
    I was wondering what is a good software out there right now that is pretty fast at rendering and it just great to work with. Also what computers are better handled for video editing. I have an Fast Dell but it doesn't seem to get the job done with the measely editing programs I have. The programs just tend to freeze up with the file sizes I use and take forever to render. I am not sure what to do. Any help on software referrals or computer information would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to edit something without having to render a the video after I cut or add a change to the timeline. Thank You in advance.
    Please define 'take forever' please and if you can quote the full specs of your PC that would help.

Personally, on the same box I've had a 20 minute 'movie' render in real time on occasion. This is good. Similarly, I've had a twenty minute 'movie' take 10 hours (yes!) to render out. It all depends on the make-up of your timeline, the specs of your box and the format you are attempting to export to.

As to what sort of PC can handle video editting. Well, if your speccing up a box there's plenty of good advice we can all give (just search the forums as it's been asked a number of times before) but generally, any 'modern' PC of the last few years will be more than adequate for general home movies.

Sorry to respond so late. It doesn't take me forever but long enough to start getting annoying, I just imported some footage that was an hour long and it somehow got corrupted. Kind of frustrating. But here are the computer specs on my computer.

Dell Dimension 8400 series

Pentium 4 Processor with 3ghz

Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x 512m)

Video Card: (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE

And as for Hard drive memory I have 380gb and then an external hard drive that has 500gb where I put most of my big files. Anything at all will Help. I am also curious to what is probably the best format to edit in, some of my programs won't except certain formats. I would like to have just one format that would be excepted by all programs. Also I am thinking about looking into getting Sony Vegas 7, Pro's or Cons (If you have any say on it) Thank you so much in advanced

Quote Originally Posted by gtdude33 View Post
    Sorry to respond so late. It doesn't take me forever but long enough to start getting annoying, I just imported some footage that was an hour long and it somehow got corrupted. Kind of frustrating. But here are the computer specs on my computer.

Dell Dimension 8400 series

Pentium 4 Processor with 3ghz

Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x 512m)

Video Card: (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE

And as for Hard drive memory I have 380gb and then an external hard drive that has 500gb where I put most of my big files. Anything at all will Help. I am also curious to what is probably the best format to edit in, some of my programs won't except certain formats. I would like to have just one format that would be excepted by all programs. Also I am thinking about looking into getting Sony Vegas 7, Pro's or Cons (If you have any say on it) Thank you so much in advanced
    So we still don't know how long "long enough to start gettign annoyed" is do we? I persist in this question because it may simply prove that the time you're gettign frustrated at is very normal. I mean if you are expecting an hour of vide to render in the same hour or less then you're in for a big disapointment I'm afraid.

Video editting is a very CPU intensive process and it will never happen as quick as we all want it to - although you can often by bespoke hardware to speed it up for you.

You say you have your large files on an external drive. There's a significant degradation in performance right there. Edit using internal drives only for performance. Save the external ones for achives and backups. In fact some s/w vendors do not even support external drives for video editting last I heard.

Specs are certainly adequate though. You could increase ram maybe but you'll be able to do it.

Don;t know Vegas 7 so can't comment on that.

I do not edit from my external hardrive, I just use it for backup and stuff so it doesn't take up all my internal space making programs run slower.

What do you mean by "bespoken hardware" and what kind of hardware?\

It does take me several hours depending on how large the movie is and sometimes it takes even longer to burn it onto a DVD and I just leave my computer on overnight.

Other than having a good CPU, would having better video editing software make any difference in the performance compared to low end video editing software? Cause I have some times experience lagging that sometimes leads to freezing.

There are several questions needing an answer here.
    Based on the fact that you have a Dell, only 2 drives are possible to build in. Assuming you have 2 drives of 380gig in total,
    have you seperated your videodata from your programs? Meaning that your videodata needs to be on a different physical drive.
    How many different programs are running in the background? It's a known fact that virusscanners, firewall, messengers etc consume valuable memory and processorpower.
    This is not so much an issue on high end system but it might be on yours. Just press ctrl-alt-del and tell how much processes are active.
    When was the last time you have defragmented your c drive?
    Are you editing dv or hdv?

Your videospecs are the same as my pc, I edit "normal" dv and in large projects I split it into smaller sequences in Premiere pro.
    In that way if I discover a editing mistake after everything has been rendered and burned on a dvd, I just make a correction in a sequence containing the mistake and the rendering is then limited to just a small part. Then I export to avi and collect all the parts into Adobe encore for final convertion to mpeg2.
    Editing is therefore also not always a case of a fast pc but smart planning. Ofcourse it it is not always possible to do it in this way but for wedding events f.i. you can breakdown a project of an hour into 5 or 6 pieces.

In any case, videediting is one of the most demanding things for your pc, if speed is that important there only one thing to do. Keep your dell to surf on the internet and perform simple office tasks and buy a brandnew dual core xeon or core 2 duo system, the faster the processor speed the better. Plug in at least 4 gig of high speed memory and buy a videocard optimised to render specific effects.
    A plug in for Sony vegas of aftereffects called magic bullets has shown very big differences in rendering times if the render part has been handled by a specific type of videocard.

The editing software won't give you speed differences realy, here just choose what fit's you right, most of the nle's support dualcore systems and take benefit from it. If you want a real kick ass system buy a fully loaded mac pro with final cut studio or soon premiere pro as they will be bringing out a version suited for a Mac.