Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uplodaded movie problems

Default Uplodaded movie problems

I have recently bought a Sony Handycam DCR-HC35 camcorder. When I upload to PC, via USB, the footage on the PC does not match the footage framed on the LCD/Viewfinder. There is additional picture to the left and right which were not framed when I shot the movie. It doesnt seem to matter if I shoot in widescreen or 4:3 (I am using Sonys bundled "Video Capturing Tool" to upload). This always happens.

Am I missing something? How are you possibly meant to frame a movie if uploaded footgae contains stuff outwith the viewfinder!! Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Dolphin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    When I upload to PC, via USB, the footage on the PC does not match the footage framed on the LCD/Viewfinder.
    You will need to transfer your footage using a firewire cable to maximise quality.

Yes, USB is only 320x240, less quality, but surely this should not affect the framed content. Why is there additional footgae on uploaded when it is not in the LDC/viewfinder preview on the camera?

Blog Entries

Why is there additional footgae on uploaded when it is not in the LDC/viewfinder preview on the camera?
    I have never heard of this problem before. I don't doubt what you are saying, but by how much are you talking about?

Hard to put a figure on how much, like a small border area maybe. But enougth to be annoying when you spend time framing something and then you have unwanted areas in your uploaded footage.

Blog Entries

Hard to put a figure on how much, like a small border area maybe. But enougth to be annoying when you spend time framing something and then you have unwanted areas in your uploaded footage.
    You should really be making allowance for the "safe area" of the scene regardless. Why would this affect your framing so much? What are you filming?

Blog Entries

Every camera I have ever used shows slightly less than what is recorded on the tape - except my VX9000s and that is probably because they have a 'real' viewfinder (a little crt, not a tft) and were once considored near the 'pro' end of the market.

In my expirience flip out screens crop more than viewfinders.

Thanks for your help Marc W. Hmm, the preview is not very useful for framing tight closeups then! I guess I'll have to use my Star Trek style Data brain and visualise the bits I cant see and leave a safe zone in my imaginary digital preview in my cerebral cortex.

Design flaw if you ask me. It should be WYSIWYG, otherwise in certain circumstances, i.e. tight close ups, its flawed as a framing tool. Is this an aspect ratio issue between the film and the preview? How hard can it be to take the CCD image and process it so the preview matches the final image on film.

Dolphin

Blog Entries

Thing is Dolphin, when viewed on TV there'll be a loss at the edges too because of overscan. Camera makers probably assume that since TV is the most common medium to view on, it doesn't matter that much.

You can of course resize / crop / reframe in your editor if the problem is that bad.

Watch your footage on TV and see how it comes out first though!

Edit - One other thought - Your camera is at the budget end of the market - Pro cameras are far more accurate for framing. You pays your money and takes your choice!
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 01-11-2007 at 12:02 PM.

I take your point about TV, in this case more picture is an advantage when cropping occurrs for TV format. However, my footage is to create video for Web, so no clipping occurrs. Recropping, resizing in SW editor will affect quality. There should really be some mode for Preview and Output WYSIWYG.

Dolphin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast