Thread: 2nd Hard Drive help

Default 2nd Hard Drive help

Hi everyone,

I erroneously posted this is the Software forum. My apologies. I have had my first Wedding Shoot, and now need to put the footage onto my hard drive. However, I do not have enough room on my existing drive. So I need to get a second hard drive, for all me video. I have found a good priced drive, but the box says it needs available SATA 133 port or something like that. Does anyone know how I can find out what my computer has available by way if Hard Drive ports/interfaces? Thanks for the help!

How old is your computer? If you purchased it recently then it probably has a SATA 133mhz already in it. You can probably check with the manufacturer by getting the name and model number and going onto the particluar website and typing in the details and see what the search throws up for you. If that doesnt throw up anything, just go onto Google and type in the same information in the search box.

Thanks for the help. It's about a year or two old now. I did what you've suggested, and according to the manufacturers website, the hard drive it came with is an SATA, so I have to assume it would have SATA connectors for additional drives. At least that makes sense to me anyway. Sound reasonable?

What about using a USB2 or Firewire External Hard Drive? Would it be able to sustain the video data stream for editting?

Blog Entries

duplicate removed

Blog Entries

Firewire would be fine i am sure - not so sure about usb2 drives, the only one i ever tried had a very slow transfer rate and was a right pain to edit from.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Firewire would be fine i am sure - not so sure about usb2 drives, the only one i ever tried had a very slow transfer rate and was a right pain to edit from.
    I have three external drives, 2 usb2 and one dual usb / firewire.

No problems with any of them at all, only advice is buy something reputable. I once made the mistake of getting a cheepie from ebay and it only lasted a year or so before crashing and burning.

PCworld were doing a 320Gb external for 69 in the Jan sales, but I think it's back to 89 now. I got one and it's triffic.

Blog Entries

TBH the external usb drive I tried once was a slow laptop model in a caddy - probably why it was pants.