Thread: Can Anyone Help??

Question Can Anyone Help??

Heres my situation: I have a ton of PAL footage. I captured and edited it within Final Cut Pro. When I export it as a quicktime movie (720 x 576, DV-PAL compressor, pixel aspect ratio PAL CCIR 601, 5:4 aspect ratio)....it looks perfect. Even when I burn it to DVD , encode it PAL, and view it on my PAL DVD player...it looks great. Since I want to combine it with a bunch of NTSC footage for a DVD, I converted the PAL to NTSC with Atlantis software (dvfilm.com). Now, the problem arises when I try to put the newly converted NTSC footage (previously PAL) and the native NTSC footage on the same sequence editor in Final Cut Pro. Please note....When I view the converted NTSC footage in quicktime, it appears to have a different aspect ratio than the original NTSC footage (I understand this has something to do with how quicktime views the pixel aspect ratio). Whatever, the only way I can get the newly converted NTSC, and the original NTSC footage to appear to be the same in the viewer...is to make the pixel aspect ratio Square, and make the frame size NTSC 4:3 (640 by 480). I export it as quicktime movie using NTSC compression and most of the newly converted PAL to NTSC footage looks grainy in quicktime. Once I burn it to DVD and encode it NTSC, ...most of the grain goes away, but sometimes ( in clips with a lot of motion ) there is a distinct grain that looks horrible. My second problem is that when I view it on a TV, it cuts off both sides of the video the whole time. I'm new at this as you can see, and tried tons of different conversions and I'm going insane. Can anyone explain what process I have to go through in order to combine PAL footage with NTSC for a compilation DVD , and have all the footage look good and not cut off both sides. Please help. -jake

Quote Originally Posted by jakestayswaxed View Post
    Heres my situation: I have a ton of PAL footage. I captured and edited it within Final Cut Pro. When I export it as a quicktime movie (720 x 576, DV-PAL compressor, pixel aspect ratio PAL CCIR 601, 5:4 aspect ratio)....it looks perfect. Even when I burn it to DVD , encode it PAL, and view it on my PAL DVD player...it looks great. Since I want to combine it with a bunch of NTSC footage for a DVD, I converted the PAL to NTSC with Atlantis software (dvfilm.com). Now, the problem arises when I try to put the newly converted NTSC footage (previously PAL) and the native NTSC footage on the same sequence editor in Final Cut Pro. Please note....When I view the converted NTSC footage in quicktime, it appears to have a different aspect ratio than the original NTSC footage (I understand this has something to do with how quicktime views the pixel aspect ratio). Whatever, the only way I can get the newly converted NTSC, and the original NTSC footage to appear to be the same in the viewer...is to make the pixel aspect ratio Square, and make the frame size NTSC 4:3 (640 by 480). I export it as quicktime movie using NTSC compression and most of the newly converted PAL to NTSC footage looks grainy in quicktime. Once I burn it to DVD and encode it NTSC, ...most of the grain goes away, but sometimes ( in clips with a lot of motion ) there is a distinct grain that looks horrible. My second problem is that when I view it on a TV, it cuts off both sides of the video the whole time. I'm new at this as you can see, and tried tons of different conversions and I'm going insane. Can anyone explain what process I have to go through in order to combine PAL footage with NTSC for a compilation DVD , and have all the footage look good and not cut off both sides. Please help. -jake
    Quite tough to read all that as one paragraph but ....

could it be down to the fact that PAL and NTSC have different resoltuions?