Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Cam filming

Default Bullet Cam filming

Guys,

I've already got a Sony DCR HC19e, which is a fun, easy and simple cam. It's great but won't accept a DV in for a bullet cam. A guy reccommended a DCR HC96e (which is great as I want to stay with tape), but this has no external mic. It is 3CCD but so is the Panasonic GS400. I don't want to leave Sony but the docking station for the 96e is a pain apparently. I know you can't have everything but I make high action sports and aviation films and now require external bullet cam support. Am I right in favouring the Sony just 'cos I've had one and are familiar? Do you guys know of a better cam for bullet cam support? I'm a pilot and promise to put some films on site here, just need to get a better camera for the job...help, much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimDogg View Post
    It's great but won't accept a DV in for a bullet cam. A guy reccommended a DCR HC96e (which is great as I want to stay with tape), but this has no external mic. It is 3CCD but so is the Panasonic GS400. I don't want to leave Sony but the docking station for the 96e is a pain apparently.
    As far as I'm aware bullet cams feed an analogue rather than DV signal to the camera and you therefore need a camera with AV inputs. Because you're using the AV inputs, the onboard mic also won't work and you'll need to link an external mic to the audio in of the camcorder.

Marc, thanks, you're absolutely right, I meant AV, I'm an idiot. I was looking at the DogCam site a while ago, I'm happy with the cameras that accept the input but I can't really increase the size of the Cam as I have to take it in the jet with me, these cockpits are pretty small. Maybe I'm trying to kill too many birds with too many stones. Maybe a higher end version of the Sony is what I need, just trying to see if guys are completely happy with what they're using for bullet cam filming.

Blog Entries

Remember that you won't be using the optics of the camera, so it doesn't *really* matter what camera you opt for - it's the bulletcam itself that "makes or breaks" the image. All the camcorder does it "save" the image as it were. This is extremely oversimplifying things btw!

Fair point. I guess that the next camera that has an av in will do then, especially as it's going to be knocked about a bit. Seems a silly thing to leave out of a camera. Sorry, I feel I've wasted your time somewhat and that, maybe, I've over-complicated the whole issue. Will post vids form inside the cockpit soon, in the meantime will hide under a rock. Thanks Marc.

Blog Entries

No problem*. I spent days trawling the internet before I bought my bulletcam... I do the legwork so you guys don't have to!

* I reserve the right to be wrong

Great site buddy, thanks.

Blog Entries

Make sure you post those shots from the plane, that sounds cool.

And Marc, can you repost that lovely clip of you getting paint-balled five minutes aftre putting the bullet camon your helmet. Classic. Missed his brand new camera by half an inch! Oh and leave the expletives in this time

Blog Entries

Apologies for the poor quality video of me getting splatted - only one I could find! More bullet cam paint shanangans here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast