Thread: What should I get?

Default What should I get?

I have made some video... but I have made them on Movie Maker... which is crap... what do you recommend I get? Price doesn't matter. Thanks.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 01-08-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Blog Entries

How long is a piece of string? I would suggest that uou take a look at the sticky in this section and look at the free trials for video editing applications.

Blog Entries

" Price doesn't matter " Lucky for some eh? Are you an eccentric millionaire? In that case I reccomend Avid liquid chrome HD elite, about 12,000 dollars, just small change ! Also I should add it will only run an a super whizz bang custom made hp workstation, but thay are only 2 grand, chickenfeed !
    Last edited by Mark W; 01-08-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Check the forums buddy, but I reckon you can't go wrong with an old version of Sony Vegas. I use 6.0 but try Vegas 4.0 first, it's cheap. I believe 7.0's out now but that's mainly for HD users.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    " Price doesn't matter " Lucky for some eh? Are you an eccentric millionaire? In that case I reccomend Avid liquid chrome HD elite, about 12,000 dollars, just small change ! Also I should add it will only run an a super whizz bang custom made hp workstation, but thay are only 2 grand, chickenfeed !
    I thought I saw one of these in Poundland the other day. And it was buy one get one free.

Blog Entries

Personally if cost is no object I would go for 7 as it has some neat functions that make editing smoother.

Blog Entries

Personally, if money was no object I'd spend the majority on hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Personally, if money was no object I'd spend the majority on hardware.
    Personally, if money was no object I'd be paying a team of professionals to do it for me and let them worry about what s/w and h/w to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Personally, if money was no object I'd be paying a team of professionals to do it for me and let them worry about what s/w and h/w to use.
    Spot on, Alan!

Nice idea . . . then I suddenly discover I'm potentially in a position to buy some new gear, so here's my conundrum:

I need a simple editor that is very capable of SD and HD, easy for me to glue together my little caravan channel half-hours, and output either an .avi or a HDV tape. The format needs to be one that will allow external editors to take my output as a finished movie or parts of, but it would also be handy to be able to export an EDL + orginal footage, if I need to do this, for that content can drop into other productions.

I don't like Avid much; what about Vegas 7 or FCP?
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Blog Entries

I like vegas. Can do all you ask.

As far as EDLs go, I got the following from the help files...

From the section on saving EDLs

-------------
    .veg
    Vegas project
    This option saves the references to media files used in the project. Also saved is project information, track effects, envelopes, bus assignments, and output properties. The .veg file does not combine events into a single file.

.txt
    EDL text file
    This option creates a text version of event placements in the track view. This text description can then be imported into a database or text application for modification or other purposes.

.aaf
    Edit Protocol Compliant AAF File
    These options create AAF (Advanced Authoring Format) files that you can use to exchange projects between applications. For example, if your postproduction facility uses a tool other than Vegas software, you could provide your project as an AAF file.

For more information, please see Importing and Exporting AAF Files.

.aaf
    Avid Legacy AAF

--------------