Thread: Camcorder Microphones

Default Camcorder Microphones

I have a Sony DCR-VX2100E Mini-DV camcorder and would appreciate advice on purchasing a microphone. I have done a few weddings for friends and family and have thought of getting into it professionally as I enjoy it so much. The bit I really want advice about is capturing speech at the ceremony and the speeches themselves. How easy is it to set up a radio mic, or would it be easier to have a mic on a stand near the bride and groom and that could also be put on the table for the speeches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

When it comes to commercial productions, it is essential to record top-rate sound. The wedding speaches are actually easy-peasy it's the church service and singing which sorts out the men from the boys. As a wedding videographer you should be looking at spending at least 2,000 on your sound gear. That would consist of a couple of Sennheiser G2 radio-mic systems and a decent microphone (such as an MKH60, CMIT5U, KMR81 or an AT815ST if you're not to sure about stereo recording).

Ouch!

For a "bog standard" long table set-up, I would use a cardiod microphone (like the Sennheiser MKH40 at about a grand. this is as well as your "general purpose" microphone) on a stand for the best result, depending on the circumstances. Getting the best sound out of your equipment is a skill which you can only really aquire by trial and error.

Sennheiser do a "K6" series of cheaper microphones which will certainly cut down the cost (less than half the price of their professional series) and I've used the AKG "blueline" series with excellent results. It is very much a "weakest-link" scenario though. If you don't know what you're doing, the cheap mics will sound bloody awful.

I can recommend "Sound for Digital Video" by Tomlinson Holman as an excellent book for grasping the basics of... well.. sound for digital video. I really would suggest going to your local rental house, renting a few microphones and experimenting before inflicting yourself on a paying customer.

Failing that "Digital Diretor" might be running a residental videography course this summer at about 1k ... interested?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellrobs View Post
    I have a Sony DCR-VX2100E Mini-DV camcorder and would appreciate advice on purchasing a microphone. I have done a few weddings for friends and family and have thought of getting into it professionally as I enjoy it so much. The bit I really want advice about is capturing speech at the ceremony and the speeches themselves. How easy is it to set up a radio mic, or would it be easier to have a mic on a stand near the bride and groom and that could also be put on the table for the speeches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get yourself registered and attend this, it's free! You'll find out everything you want to know up there. http://www.videoforum.co.uk/page.cfm/link=46

And you just might see me too!

Thanks for the advice.
    What is your opinion on RODE microphones?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellrobs View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    What is your opinion on RODE microphones?
    Low end but not bad for the money. Nothing even approaching what Guru recommends though...

Blog Entries

Good mics matter - they really matter...

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sound-r...nstration.html

Default Blog post to help choose the right mic

Hi all. We put together a guide to choosing the correct mic along with examples of the most popular models. Hope you find this useful.
    Choosing a Mic for a Video Camera or Camcorder | Microphone Blog