Thread: Windows Media Encoder problem

Default Windows Media Encoder problem

I have encoded mpeg files before with wme to put on a web site...unfortunately, when I tried this time, it keeps crashing. I have reinstalled the program three times and still no go. I give it all the specs on the video I want to encode and then it gives me the error message and shuts down.
    Any ideas...also, WME is extremely complex for someone like myself. Is there any other quality encoders that would allow me to take a simple mpeg file and encode it for streaming. Specifically I am taking simple clips and trying to get them under 15 mb to put on a little web site. I have tried the stream encoding with my Pin. Studio and the quality is terrible compared to the WME, when I can get it to work.

Using Dell, P4, 2.8 ghz with ht, 80gb
    Any help is welcome!

Blog Entries

What specific error message do you get and are you using the wizard to create the file?

Additionally, is it only recent MPEGs or do you get the same error with MPEG files that previously encoded fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    What specific error message do you get and are you using the wizard to create the file?

Additionally, is it only recent MPEGs or do you get the same error with MPEG files that previously encoded fine?
    I kept getting the microsoft this program has encountered and error and must shut down...did this for two days. Finally got it to work yesterday, but have no idea what I did. This program is really complicated for me...someone gave me the "specs" one time to get a 6 minute sports clip under 15 mb. (vbr512k (ntsc) if that means anything to you.) I used both the wizard and custom...again, have no idea what I did differently, but it produced the file. I am using canopus to capture/convert, Studio to edit, then render to mpeg...the render to stream on Studio produces really poor quality clips...the wme is better but still "smudgy and pixally" the result of the small file size I would imagine. I would like nice crisp clear clips, but am really limited on the file sizes. My mpeg files are pretty good quality...this clip was a new one so it should not have been corrupted.

I am new to having a web page and have not yet learned how to set one up so I am using Network Solutions for web hosting because they have free, easy to use templates. Only problem is they limit the file size to 15 mb. I will have to eventually dig in and learn how to construct a web page and find a host that will not limit me as I want to eventually put more game film, etc. on the site...but it serves the purpose at this time.
    Our booster club wants to do a web site, and since I am the only volunteer to do it at this point,I need to get busy and learn more about web desing/hosting, etc.
    Have a Dell, P4 2.8 ghz with ht...any suggestions you have that might accomplish these tasks for someone who is as dense as I at times would be greatly appreciated. You can view the site I am referring to at www.mitchellmustain.com Again, very elementary, but hope to expand when I get time to learn more!
    Also, if you look at the site, let me know how long the clips take to buffer...on my computer it takes FOREVER! Sometimes three times longer than the actual clip!