Thread: Compressing H.264 = Help!

Default Compressing H.264 = Help!

Hello People!

I am new in this matter. H.264-
    I was wondering what are the best tools for compressing H.264 videos,without losing the least quality as possible.And its always good to know the easiest way lads

See..I have this file that it is 900MB.I desperately need to cut it down to..lets say 100MB for personal backup ideals.And resize the 320x240 to 222x182 preferly. The thing is that i want it to look the best as possible..

So far the original video that i encoded works as a charm^^

Thanks

-Maria
    Last edited by mvtm; 01-07-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Blog Entries

What (exactly) are you trying to do? What is the source of your video, and what is the final encoded video for?

If I am correct in what I think you're doing, I would redirect you to this site. But I don't want to assume...

I want to resize the video from 320x240 to 222x182. I want the quality to stay the same as the original vid.

I dont have the Video uploaded to the internet since it is 900MB..so its too large.

The final video is for backup. I purchased the DVD. Yes Sir, i suppose that site would be a better place to ask for help.Thanks for the link.

Anyhelp is appreciated.

-Maria
    Last edited by mvtm; 01-07-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Blog Entries

It will not stay the same: you are reducing the resolution of your video and re-encoding a lossy format, that is each encode will result in a loss of quality. Moreover, going from 900MB to 100MB is a big difference in terms of the bitrate needed to reduce the size. This will lead to a further reduction in quality.

When I asked the source of your video, I mean where did you get it from? The internet, a DVD etc. It is important to know the background to

a) where you have got the video from; and
    b) what you want to do with the final video

It may be that we can suggest a completely different solution for you. Why, for example do you specifically to resize to those dimensions?

Hmm.. in that case let the loss of quality be done and the Bitrate change. I got this video from a DVD ... i decryted it with DVD Decryter and the used Videora iPod Converter to play it on my iPod which it does flawlessly and i am pretty happy with the results.

The only reason why i do stress on the 100MB file is because i wish to upload it into the internet and having my collection backuped there.Most Hostings only have a fair ammount of 100MB per file upload. The resolution may be the same as the original file 320x240 now that i am thinking about it. So now we are just talking about compressing this 900MB H.264 into 100MB..i know its rough. I just mind that the final video will be the best quality as possible while resizing it and stuff.

-Maria

Blog Entries

Maybe i am missing something but what is the point of backing up something in a form that is almost unwatchable when you have the original in a very robust form already, a DVD ? ? ?

It would make much more sense to copy the dvd and put it somewhere safe....

I smell a youtuber/myspacer (100Mb limit), or maybe someone trying to copy stuff onto an iPod/psp.

"backing up" a dvd is also illegal if you need to dycrypt it's copyright signal. (yes you are entiltled to create a back-up, but breaking the code is illegal).

Also why back-up to a lesser format? lesser resolution? and online? that's not even back-up in my opinion.

If you want online back-up specifically, buy some propper hosting which you could fit the whole dvd disc image onto.

I smell a rat.