Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Flare

Default Gun Flare

Our first successful gun flare. This is a small segment of a larger movie. The character is trapped and bored in the woods.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...mping_Send.avi

Real video is much cleaner, Google Video is pretty crappy and made the beginning glitch a bit, but the gun shot is there.

Blog Entries

The flare looks extremely 'cartoony' - almost on a par with a flag coming out of the barel saying 'bang'. But seriously, it does look a bit over the top and doesn't fit with the colour grading you've used. I would consider using a much smaller effect, or none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    The flare looks extremely 'cartoony' - almost on a par with a flag coming out of the barel saying 'bang'. But seriously, it does look a bit over the top and doesn't fit with the colour grading you've used. I would consider using a much smaller effect, or none at all.

Hmmm. I'd like a second opinion but perhaps you are right. How would I better fit it with the color grading?

Also, if you notice most popular films use very similar techniques.

Should I make it more white?

Blog Entries

A bit too big maybe, I quite like it that way but it doesnt look that 'real', whatever real is.

I like my definitely cartoony version. http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/Temp/gunnsh.wmv

Also, the recoil looks wrong, I aint no back woods gunslinging survivalist but I thought that if you allowed your wrist to bend up like that you risked damaging it, isnt the recoil suppoed to sort of be taken up by your arm ? ?

I think that the flare itself looks good, right shape and size, but it is shown for too long. maybe hair it down a few frames...
    As far as color, what he means is the flare looks white and light in color, and the rest of the scene is dark and greenish. I don't know what kind of effect that background color has on a flare like that, but definitely the flare is too light for that situation.

As for cartoonyness, maybe you could alleviate that by adding another flare. have two flares, slightly different in size or shape, play a frame apart, so there is a slight animation to the explosion. you could simply take the original and size it so it is smaller, and put that first, and it will seem that the flare gets bigger...
    Everybody Pays

in this footage of an actual gun firing there definitely is a flare but it's more white. Perhaps I should change the color of mine. I see what you are saying about using two different ones to make it more animated, but in almost anything i've seen, in Hollywood or actual footage, gun flares are like a brief flash and that's it.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...handgun+firing

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

I like my definitely cartoony version. http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/Temp/gunnsh.wmv

Ahahahaha what the hell was that?

He's obviously blasting away at his PC. maybe he's just fed up....
    Everybody Pays

Whatever it is I got a kick out of it.

Blog Entries

That was a bren gun owned by my gun nut friend - I tried that muzzle flash thing because we were going to 'fire' the gun in a film - the script is now redone but using an m16 instead - the Bren gun was too heavy.

Oh yes - it is deactivated - thankfully.

I dont know what a real muzzle flash looks like but I bet it is not that impressive - film is all lies so why not jazz it up a bit for the fun of it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast