Thread: Using Premiere for HD

1. Default Using Premiere for HD

Hi, Santa was very good to me and brought me a new camera with HD capability. This leads me to two editing questions that I'd be grateful for some advice on:

I understand I can't use Premiere Elements to edit HD, so I'll have to upgrade to Pro, is this correct?

I've got some film from a project I've already started, which is not done in HD - can I mix HD and standard in the one project or should I finish off that project without using the HD settings?

Many thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym01 View Post
    Hi, Santa was very good to me and brought me a new camera with HD capability. This leads me to two editing questions that I'd be grateful for some advice on:

I understand I can't use Premiere Elements to edit HD, so I'll have to upgrade to Pro, is this correct?
    Dunno. Never seen Elements. But if you're serious about HD then I would assumed Pro is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym01 View Post
    I've got some film from a project I've already started, which is not done in HD - can I mix HD and standard in the one project or should I finish off that project without using the HD settings?

Many thanks for any advice.
    I use 'Pro' for my HD work. What you import is entirely up to you. You can mix HD and SD assets till your heart's content. However, what you see and how good it looks will depend entirely on what project preset/template you started with.

If you start with an SD project anmd import HD clips they will be big and need to be resized to fit. No problem here as thius is effectively what you will need to do if you edited HD and exported for DVD.

If you start with an HD project then your SD clips will be half size. Great for PIP but for full screen you will need to digitally zoom them. Not good. If you edit HD and zoom an SD clip. then when you export to SD (for DVD) it does NOT work intelligently either (I tried it as a test). It will digitall zoom, losing details and then shrink the image, preserving the loss of details.

Hope this helps.

Alan

3. Default

Thanks Alan - never occurred to me it would work that way. Response was really helpful. The camera can output HD to SD so maybe that's the answer to start with until I finish the project's I'd already started.
    Thanks again.