Thread: Capturing Problems

Default Capturing Problems

Camera: Panasonic PV-GS300
    Software: WMM

Capturing at high qualities than the recommended 3mb per minute with Windows Movie Maker will cause the captured .wmv file to skip around in places. If footage is captured at 3mb per minute, it works just fine, but I would like to capture at a higher quality. My computer is a bit old, and slower than most. It is a Pentium 4 1.8ghz with 256mb of ram. I couldn't figure out the video memory.

I know it isn't the camera or the cable because I captured footage on my dad's computer which is a P4, 3.2ghz with 1gb of ram, at 14mb per minute, which was the default. The footage came out flawless.

So my question is, how can I fix the skipping in the captured file? Do I need more RAM, more video memory, or a faster processor? I don't know. I hope I don't need a faster processor because that is something not easily replaceable .

Blog Entries

This is a miniDV camera. Capture using a firewire cable to DV AVI using windows movie maker, not to WMV. Your processor simply can't encode to WMV quick enough to process all the frames. It will be more than adequate to transfer DV footage.

I guess that is an option too, although it will be a bigger file. I do have an external HD, so I guess I'll start using that to hold captured footage.

If anyone has any other tips, I'd like to know, but thanks a lot for the advice ^^.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by njbodyboarder09 View Post
    I guess that is an option too, although it will be a bigger file.
    This is the de facto standard for editing miniDV footage. The miniDV standard was designed to transfer the footage recorded digitaly without re-encoding from a camera to PC or other device.

Blog Entries

Ditto from me too, save all your transferred stuff as DV files, no quality loss on capturing, much nicer to edit on - wmvs are horrid to edit, glitchy.

Wmv is a delivery and distribution codec first and foremost.