Thread: Transferring Video from Canon MV630i via USB

Default Transferring Video from Canon MV630i via USB

Hi there, I'm having a little trouble downloading video captured on my Canon MV630i camera to my PC via USB cable. I have plugged it in and have it in play mode but my computer isn't detecting it and I can't transfer the data over. Do you know if I need any drivers / software for this camera in order to download data, a search through google has come up with nothing.

I have tried detecting and installing the camera as a device through windows but to no avail, any light anybody could shed on how to do this would be awesome.

Thanks.

Thumbs down

Digital video isn't meant to be transferred via USB.

MiniDV camcorders: The camera of choice for the amatuer videographer, the miniDV camcorder is now a proven and mature product. The camcorder connects to a PC for capture via a Firewire (also known as ilink), which is a lossless process - what you see on your camcorder is exactly what's transferred. If you don't have a firewire socket, you can buy a PCI expansion card for about 10 from any PC retailer. Once connected, you'll be able to control the camcorder on your PC using editing software such as Pure Motion Edit Studio, and DV files are ideal for editing and supported by all editing software currently available. (Videoforums FAQ)

ah ok, thanks very much.

I think my camera only came with a USB cable, I go into town and have a look around.

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. Stick around and learn more!

Why do cameras come with USB cables if the data can't be transfered by it?

Kevin

Blog Entries

Ha, now that is a really good question and one perhaps to be directed at sony / panasonic et al...

For some reason f wire cables seem to cost more than usb, maybe thats it? Still it sucks and results understandably in the most commonly asked question on this board of which yours was one of very very many.

So is there no way to get footage from a video camera to a computer through USB? That's crazy. I thought USB was faster as well, isnt it 480Mbps for USB vs. 400 for Firewire?

Kevin

yes but the SUSTAINED data rate...

Blog Entries

I had a hard drive caddy once that was usb or f wire - the usb data rate was sporadic and about 15mb/s, the firewire was a constant 40mb/s.

It continues to boggle the mind why camcorder manufacturers continue to mislead by not supplying f wire cabels.

There's no misleading here, the Canon Mv630i actually has an SD card slot, and a switch that effectively turns the Video camera into a Digital Photo Camera. The USB cable is provided to give access to the SD card only. This is entirely a separate feature of the camera. The SD card never has video stored on it, that's all done on the DV tapes.