Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Using Pro song In vid?

Default Cost of Using Pro song In vid?

Hi, can anyone give me a few tips or indicators as to how much it would cost to use a professional song in a video, and how you go about buying it for a video?

i.e. if I wanted to do a video with a Queen song behind it (not that I do), how much would it cost and how do I buy the song.

Cheers
    Andy
    andy@10yetis.co.uk
    ---------

10 Yetis have been known to have the odd dabble at marketing n\' stuff, penguins need not apply.

Blog Entries

There is no easy answer.

It depends on a number of factors, what te video's for, how long the track is, which track it is etc.etc.

The Performing Rghts Society http://www.prs.co.uk/ are responsible for collecting the fees and work with the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society http://www.mcps.co.uk/ but organisations such as the Institute of Videographers http://www.iov.co.uk/ and the Guild of Videographers http://www.gpv4u.co.uk/ have schemes to arrange payment.

It's best that you contact them as you know what you want and what you'll use it for.

Don't listen to any saloon-bar lawyers on this subject, there are all sorts of urban myths about copyright and it can cost you a lot of money if you don't do it right.

Blog Entries

I found out once, took me ages, I wanted to use a phillip glass track in a film, totally arty not for profit... 50 quid for six months. Then they ( a nice lady in the comapny that owned the rights in the usa ) told me not to bother as they didnt really mind 'arty' use.

At the risk of myth spinning i bet commercial use for a 'known' song would be well pricey. The rights to songs are gold dust, solid diamond and unicorns horns all at the same time.

ANd waht is wrong with queen... ? ? ? ?

Blog Entries

Mark W is a case in point (positively) about how myths can get started. Someone hearing about his result (and not fully reading what he wrote in his post) could easily get the impression that you don't have to pay for "art" videos or if it's not for profit. A myth I've seen posted as "copyright law" on other forums. Mark's case was the publisher being generous.

Mark's done the right thing for this sort of project, contacted the copyright owners directly but for commercial projects this isn't always the cheapest way since the copyright holders often ask for silly money.

I worked on a low-budget feature a few years ago. The film was edited and finished.... and is still sitting in a vault. All because the producer cocked-up with the soundtrack. The movie was filmed for specific music and the producer got the reply "no problem, we'll sort out the fee after you've finished the film" and the producer (twat) assumed that it had been sorted. Needless to say the amount the copyright holder eventually asked for was way, way above what had been allowed for in the budget (they demanded a cool million, thus doubling the cost of the production) and it scuppered the movie.

Be warned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Guild of Videographers http://www.gpv4u.co.uk/
    I'd never heard of the Guild of Videographers, and to be perfectly honest they look like a bunch of cowboys from their website. Not exactly the most appropriate way of giving credibility to an 'industry' with very little to begin with.

Blog Entries

I don't "know" them either but I wanted to give an alternative to the I.O.V. and I know that there are a few suchlike organisations. I must be honest and say that I find the use of the word "guild" a bit pompous, especially as it took me a long time to get into my particular "guild" but I digress..

Ahh, my error, I mistook them for the APV ( www.apv.org.uk ) anyway there are shedloads of wedding videographers clubs/guilds/associations out there and most of them have licencing schemes for music.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 01-06-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    I must be honest and say that I find the use of the word "guild" a bit pompous, especially as it took me a long time to get into my particular "guild" but I digress.
    It does take up to 3 days

Please note that this is not an automated process and it may take up to 3 days before your temporary membership is available. Temporary GPV Membership is only available via the form on this page.

Default Marc/Mark/Guru

On this subject, are fees due when you use just the music and not the lyrics?

I've often seen TV programmes loop the intro's to current music tracks - the ITV F1 team often do this - and reloop just before the lyrics kick-in.

Does this mean they pay NO fees; or are they doing this to pay LESS fees?

Rick

Blog Entries

I don't know the answer, but I would assume that this is due to a style thing rather than the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I don't know the answer, but I would assume that this is due to a style thing rather than the cost.
    Thanks Marc,

No, I reckon it's either a cost thing or something which maybe helps them in the editing process? Sometimes (ITV F1) will include lyrics, sometimes not. But I've seen several ITV and BBC programmes use the introductory theme to a popular song, but no lyrics.

How many times have you heard the opening bars to Snow Patrol tracks this year? Or Coldplay, used by the BBC for fundraising gigs?

The cost thing would make sense for things like Comic Relief, but then you'd think (hope) bands wouldn't charge anyway. BUt I've seen low budget TV shows not use lyrics, deliberately.

Michael Palin once said, in his Hemingway Adventure programme and whilst standing in an outdoor supplies shop buying deer musk, that if he sung the lyrics to a song he's get royalties!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast