Thread: Which books / internet guides for Premiere Pro beginner?

Default Which books / internet guides for Premiere Pro beginner?

I am fairly new to premiere so I need to know the basic features but also some detailed ones too. I was wondering which books are best to cover most if not all of the features in premiere, while being suitable for a new learner.

I have had a look on Amazon and had a look in a few book shops but wondered which books you guys have read and what you can recommend. Also, any online guides would be good too.

Thanks all.

OK, the temptation here, of course, is to suggest that you read the documentation that came with your s/w

but these aren't always the best teaching books. It sounds like you could do with a lesson based approach. Have a look at the 'teach yoursefl in 24 hours' series. http://tinyurl.com/3ddm2. I've read a handfull of these and they're not usually aimed too high and you are lead into the s/w gradually. They're not reference books (although a couple I own have numerous yellow post-it stuck in loads of pages).

I've generally found them readable enough that you can read them away from your desk and then attack the actuall lessons (using the s/w) after reading.

It'll certainly get you going.

If it's a reference book s you want then I find the 'bible' books pretty good. http://tinyurl.com/2dje5

However, if you're familiar enough with the s/w and are looking for a recipe book to walk you through standard (or cool) techniques then I have no recommendations as yet. If I could find somethign like the Photoshop 'Down and dirty tricks' books I'd be well happy.

Okay cheers mate. Was looking at the 'teach yourself in 24 hours' the other day in a book shop. Might have to get this if you recommend it. I have been using the help as well to get me through some of the procedures and this does prove useful at some points. Its just the really complex things and detailed jargon that is slowing me dowm. Have managed to make a few movies with transitions, music etc but only really basic, practise stuff to try and learn the features by trial and error.

Cheers for the help mate.

just so I'm clear on this. I'm not recommending the 'in 24 hours' book specifically because I've never looked at it. My comment is that I think the style of those books is suitable for what you are after in this instance.

I like this one: Premiere Pro for Windows : Visual QuickPro Guide, explains everything clearly, much better than Adobe's help file.

Yep, the Visual QuickPro guides are very good too. I have a number of those as well.

Excellent if you're sitting in front of the PC all the time. However, If you just want to sit down and have a 'read' of a chapter, in order to understand and learn concepts before attacking them at the PC, then I find the 'in 24 hours' a little easier to 'read'.

The QuickPro Guide to Encore is excellent!

You won't be disapointed with either series I think.