Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad render quality.

Default Bad render quality.

I have recently formatted my computer, I have also rendered a clip using wmv codec, x264 codec[vdub] and h264 codec.

Each time I render, the quality is very lossy, even when I use settings I have used for over a year now.

What could be a factor to the bad render quality I am receiving?

The uncompressed version is perfectly clear, like normal.
    No matter what bitrate I use or what settings, it turn out the same in every version, lots of artifacting/blurriness around the entire clip.

I know how to render perfect quality, but all of a sudden it just gives up on me.

Here is an example :
    Bad quality

Good quality
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 01-06-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

From what I can tell by your examples, the bad is deinterlaced, the good shows full interlace. Check your interlace/deinterlace settings. Maybe it'll be called progressive scan. You don't want progressive scan, it's deinterlaced.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    From what I can tell by your examples, the bad is deinterlaced, the good shows full interlace. Check your interlace/deinterlace settings. Maybe it'll be called progressive scan. You don't want progressive scan, it's deinterlaced.
    That was my initial thoughts Crusty, but the source of the video looks like a PC video game. It would be good to know thet source of the video to help diagnose the problem.

Blog Entries

It doesnt look like compression probelms / artifacts to me, as suggested it looks like poor deinteralcing.

I would wager that by trying to compress interlaced footage some very poor deinterlacing is taking place causing the blurry look.

I suggest deinterlacing the footage befor compression. I my expirience compressing stuff using wmv (for sure) can cause blurring / tearing.

I have deinterlace checked off, the picture you see had multiple images is because it has 4[120 source into 30] frames blended into one.

Most videogame movies have anything from 30-2000 frames blended into 30 a second.

Now someone else said that I could be rendering with either my video card OR my cpu and that could be the problem, how do I check what I am using to render with?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
    I could be rendering with either my video card OR my cpu and that could be the problem, how do I check what I am using to render with?
    A rather strange thing to suggest in my opinion. The GPU of video cards are sometimes used to render effects, but encoding video is the domain of the CPU.

Please post the following info:

• All settings of the source and destination including framesize, bitrate, codec etc.
    • How the video was captured
    • What software you are using for render

The source of the file is : Fraps recording a counter-strike clip at 1/4th speed at 30FPS.

Then I add effects/sound and render uncompressed for x264 [which I use a makemp4.bat to render with] and wmv in vegas.

The uncompressed settings are :

And when I render wmv :

Blog Entries

I have never edited catpured games footage so i dont know how helpfull this will be but it looks like fraps has captured mutiple frmes, with the compression averaging the result.

Cant you only caputre one frame per 1/30 sec? Can you set the games frame to 30 per second so it only captures single complete frames ?

Well the way fraps records at 30FPS and forces the program down to 30 while it records, or whatever you set it at.

To record MORE fps at a single time you need to slow the game down by how ever much fps you need, in this case I wanted 120FPS a second so I slowed the game down to 1/4th speed when I recorded.

Then I take the 30FPS clip that was slowed down, put it in vegas and speed it up by 4, it creates frame blending that makes 30fps look like 120fps.

So each frame will have 4 frames blended into one to create a much smoother effect during playback.

Here is an example of how my quality should look, this is a clip from a guy on my movie making team for counter-strike 1.6 : http://files.filefront.com/andrew_CO.../fileinfo.html

Then you look at mine and go... yeah .

We use the same settings for rendering.

I am begining to think that vegas 7.0 is something to do with this, I rendered a clip using vegas 6.0 and it was fine..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast