Thread: Video Conversion Recommendations

Default Video Conversion Recommendations

Looking for some direction on what format to store about 150 hours of home video. The bulk of the video was created on Digital8 (Sony camcorder) with the last handful of tapes on a newer Sony MiniDV camcorder. Currently I am starting the process of moving the video over to a large hard drive (500gb) but will need to start converting it to some type of compressed format. I initially thought I would be creating DVD's but with some of these network media players being able to stream from a PC to a TV I want to make sure I get the video stored in the best format for quality knowing that uncompressed digital isn't an option. Feeling a bit overwhelmed when starting to look at whether to go with MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Divx, etc. and I am sure there are quality settings available within each format.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Assuming you have a good quality capture soloution personally I would store the raw stuff on a hard drive initially and then for long time archiving of the good bits DVD will be fine, as in DVD player type dvd not dvd rom.

The quality loss even from a very hq dv source to dvd is very small and irrelevant to most people.

Default Home Video Tuning

A follow up question....

In going through the process of converting all of our home video over to DVD from the original Digital8 tape is there any filter/effect/enhancing (not sure the correct term here) that could be easily applied across the board to enhance the picture quality on the video? I am new to video editing but want to make sure to do it right when converting 150 hours of video.