Thread: Importing Video shot in Cinema Mode

Default Importing Video shot in Cinema Mode

Hello... I have a Panasonic PV-GS50 miniDV cam. When Im recording video I have the option to shoot in regular mode or Cinema mode. I have successfully shot some video in Cinema mode and played it on my television and it looks fine. When I import the footage into Premiere Pro should I be using Standard or Widescreen settings when importing? Ive read about some cameras not recording in true "widescreen" How do I know if my camera does. Some posts say some cameras jus add black bars to the top and bottom of regular mode. When I input the video and edit in premiere it looks cool, but when I export the picture looks to streched to me. Has anyone else run across any similar type situationz???
    Thnx!!!

*My system specz... PIV 2.4GHZ, 1GB DDR RAM, 250 Gig 7200RPM HD, GeForce FX5600 Ultra video card, Firewire, 4x DVD burner, Echo Audio Soundcard...
    PMG \"Professionals Music Group\"

Blog Entries

At that price range, it's more than likely to be the "poor man's" version of widescreen (black bars inserted at the top and bottom). I've had the same problem with Premiere - I use a 4:3 project and although it looks stretched in the preview window, it's fine when output.

When Im editing the cinema mode video everything looks cool, but when i export it looks strecthed...If I edited the same footage not shot in Cinema mode and export the video looks fine. Is this normal? How do I edit my Cinema mode shot footage and export it to be ready to be burnt onto a DVD??? So the images arent streched looikn...?
    Thnx again!
    PMG \"Professionals Music Group\"

Blog Entries

Sounds like you're using the wrong aspect ratio when exporting. If you've been editing in 4:3 make sure you output in 4:3.

It's not necessarily a poor man's widescreen at that price. My Sony TRV33E has a 'true' widescreen and I paid 500 for it.

I start a Premiere 6.5 project using the standard PAL widescreen 48Khz setting and import there. Then export using the Mian Concept Encoder with Premiere using the standard PAL 16:9 Medium bitrate settings. Do a menu in Encore and I get a nice Anamorphic DVD to play downstairs

It proves that simple for me. If this route doesn't work (and I haven;t made any misquotes or remembered thing wrong) then I suggest it;s nto a true widescreen.

Blog Entries

Why oh why don't all cams offer anamorphic widescreen if one company can do it for 500?

It's me using the term anamorphic, not Sony! I want that to be clear. It's not got an anamorphic lens or anything really serious like that.

My pont is that the final DVD has a 16:9 picture and I need my TV and DVD player both set to 16:9 mode to view it for best results.

Have to admit though, that a colleague at work is dead jealous after seeing some footage. He's got some Prosumer model costing at least three times as much with 3 CCDs and almost preferes the footage I took.

Blog Entries

We'll get told off for stealing some else's thread again, but I've got to say that even the rip off high street merchant that is Jessops are selling DV cams, fully spec'd, for as little as 300. With prices like these, it's no surprise that video editing is becoming so popular