Thread: Editing audio in Pro 2

Default Editing audio in Pro 2

I am going through "Classroom in a Book" and have a project I would like to edit the audio waveforms.....the book says it can be done at the sample level but I cant figgure out how..? my camera man ( wife....) is talking during a portion and I wold like to "cut her out".... ideas?

Blog Entries

It's rather difficult to isolate a voice and cut this out of the audio without the audio sounding, for want of a better term, 'tinny'. It can be done, personally I'm not too good at this kind of thing! I would suggest you loop some ambient sound from another section of video and place this over the section.

Thanks I will give that a try....if I can figure it out...

I reckon you can get close with the right tools. I'm sure other tools can do similar but the one I know is Adobe Audition.

Download and install the 30 trail version.
    Pull in the audio from your clip.
    Change to 'Spectral Frequency View' and you can see your lovely sound.

Now if it's clear and distinct enough from the background noise you will be able to 'see' your wife's speach in the display.

You can do some cool magic in here beacuse, as my Adobe Audition mentor Jason Levine always says... "If you can see it, you can remove it" [You see, I was paying attention at last year's Video Forum!!]

You can select the lasso tool and draw a line around the 'speach' (Note that v1 and 1.5 users only have the marquee tool here). Once you've done that then choose the 'repair transient' option from the favourites menu. What this does is attempt to remove the highlighted sound but fill in the space it took up by sucking in the sound frequencies from around the outside of the selection. It is designed to repair pops and clicks and so does not work on large selections so you may not be lucky here.

If you're not lucky then simply select the sound and hit delete. It's gone. Now select an area of background noise of a similar size from elsewhere and paste back into the gap.

You're fix is complete - once you save your sound to a file.

As difficult as it is to remove the sound of your wife talking but doing this, it;s still so much easier on yourself (in the long run) than telling her to shut her cake-hole while you're videoing - but not as satisfying.

Hope this is clear so do ask if it isn't.

I''ve gone through this quite quickly so ask away if you decide to try it and it makes no sense.

Alan

Alan Thanks! I will give it a shot!!

you know actually the background noise during the whole tape event is the same.. ( dog show.... chit chat and dog barking in the background)... I am trying to just "cut and copy" some of the adjacent sound of the top of her but can get it to work..

Using the razor tool.... Alt/cut to seperate video on audio... that seems to work.. but cant figure out how to paste it over the top..

again...I am a newbie.... sorry...

You will first need to unlink the video and audio in premiere. then slice up your audio with the razor tool. Delete the slice you want to lose. Cut a paste a slice of background noise from elsewhere into the gap.

Audio does nto work the same as video. Audio on a higher layer does NOT replace audio on a lower level as it effectively does for video. The two get added together so you need to delete the original bit.

After pasting the background noise into the gap you might want to apply a cross fade so you do not get a sudden change of background noise.

This cut and paste method is a lot quicker than my Audition route but will only work if there is no background noise/sound you want to keep. If it were a pop or crackle in music then the audition route would likely be better. For this job though, it's probably overkill - unless you want to practise of course

Alan

That works like a champ!! cant even tell. Now the "Auditon" rout has me curious... I like to play. the trail version is just good for 30 days right?

Thanks all....I am "getting it"..

This is some dog show footage I shot last year for my breeder....( Great Danes) whos husband was showing for the first time.. he passed away recently...and I want it right..

again...thanks!!!

Sounds like a great project. I'm glad it's coming together. Shout out if you have any more questions.