Thread: Need software selection help...please

Default Need software selection help...please

I am completely new to video editing and want to learn. I was looking at the Adobe product but did not know which one to get. Below is a spec sheet on the basics of my CPU. It does not have a firewire port, but that is in the works soon. I want to create a high quality editing and DVD product for myself inititaly, and may want to make it a career . Anyway you got to start somewhere.

here is my system:

Dimension E521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2)2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHzDell USB Keyboard19 in (19 in viewable) E197FPBFlat Panel Display256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)3.5in Floppy DriveMicrosoft Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 2, EnglishWindows Media Player 10Dell Direct DownloadInternet Search and PortalImage Restore Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to accessBackup media for XP Pro Dimension E521Thank you for choosing DellDell USB 2-button mouseIntegrated NIC card56K PCI Data Fax ModemAdobe Acrobat Reader 7.016X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RWSonic CineplayerRoxio Creator Basic/MyDVD Basic

I appreciate any advice on getting me going in the right direction.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fshngyd View Post
    I am completely new to video editing and want to learn. I was looking at the Adobe product but did not know which one to get. Below is a spec sheet on the basics of my CPU. It does not have a firewire port, but that is in the works soon. I want to create a high quality editing and DVD product for myself inititaly, and may want to make it a career . Anyway you got to start somewhere.
    If you're looking to make it a career then you may want to choose to aim as high as possible so as not to lijkit yoursefl in the future. basically, the first thing you need (after the absolutely essential firewire port) is a vide editor. With Adobe you can do that for 50 quid (Premiere elements) or you can do it for 500 quid (Premiere Pro). Either will allow youtomake quality DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by fshngyd View Post
    here is my system:

Dimension E521,Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (2.00GHz, 512Kx2)2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHzDell USB Keyboard19 in (19 in viewable) E197FPBFlat Panel Display256MB nVidia GeForce 7300LE TurboCache250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)3.5in Floppy DriveMicrosoft Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 2, EnglishWindows Media Player 10Dell Direct DownloadInternet Search and PortalImage Restore Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to accessBackup media for XP Pro Dimension E521Thank you for choosing DellDell USB 2-button mouseIntegrated NIC card56K PCI Data Fax ModemAdobe Acrobat Reader 7.016X DVD-ROM and 16X DVD+/-RWSonic CineplayerRoxio Creator Basic/MyDVD Basic

I appreciate any advice on getting me going in the right direction.
    Thank you.
    Any modern-ish spec PC will do. I read your sopec thinkgin that puperhaps punctuation wasn;t your strong poitn when that classic line

Thank you for choosing Dell
    hit me and I had to laugh as you obvisouly cut and pasted it from your advertising brochure or something.

But seriously, for video editing you really want at least two physical hard drives, both internal. Generally I would spec somethignlike an 80Gb drive for your OS and s/w (i.e. C drive) and then as big a hard drive as you can afford as your video workspace.