Thread: neeebie question

Default neeebie question

Hi, i`m still very new to video editing, have a small question, i`ve copied the film from my video cam to my computer but running out of space, take a lot when you got say 6 tapes to do, so i want to burn them to dvd, the problem is that i`ve created AVI files and about 1 hour of footage is about 12 gig, huge, how can i write this to dvd without loosing the quality of the video?
    Thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by totterfield View Post
    Hi, i`m still very new to video editing, have a small question, i`ve copied the film from my video cam to my computer but running out of space, take a lot when you got say 6 tapes to do, so i want to burn them to dvd, the problem is that i`ve created AVI files and about 1 hour of footage is about 12 gig, huge, how can i write this to dvd without loosing the quality of the video?
    Thanks
    Tom
    All you've done is missed a stage of the process that's all. Captured ABI are effectively uncompressed video anmd you most certianly will not get that on a DVD as you say. DVDs are basically MPEG2 videos so you need to convert it. this would normally be done by your video editing application after addings titles etc.

Also, how are you going to design your DVD? Do you have some s/w for DVD authoring. Unfortgunately you cannot just burn a video file to a DVD and expect your DVD player to play it. You will need some s/w to do this for you as you may want to add menus etc. Some editors however, allow the user to create abre bones play-immediately DVD from the timeline.

So, what s/w you using and how do you buils your DVDs?

Thanks for the reply, i`ve downloaded a trial version of sony vegas 7 to see what it`s like, but if that runs out i`ll be on ulead vidio studio 8. that all makes sense what you`ve said, but if i convert the AVI to MPEG2 files and burn them to dvd, can i take them off at a later stage to edit them?? if i did this would i have to convert them back to AVI or doesn`t it matter???
    sorry for novice questions
    Thanks