Thread: Flying/Floating Camera in AfterEffects 7.0 ???

Default Flying/Floating Camera in AfterEffects 7.0 ???

Hi All,

I made a composition using Andrew Kramers Reflections Tutorial over at Creative Cow, i got that pretty much sorted, all i want to do now is give the camera a more fluid floating feel, i've keyframed zooming in and out and the position of the camera but it doesn't look natural.

Anyone got any advice on making it more realistic??

thanks in advance.

-Mick

Can you post an example of what you've got so far.

I'm wondering if although you've keyframed position you haven't done an easy ease-in and out and have not bezier'd the keyframes.

I've seen that tutorial of Andrew's. He's done some good work. I have little doubt that if you followed the tutorial it would work out fine. Maybe you missed a subtle bit.

Hi Alan,

I'm still new to After Effects, so i may have done something wrong, where's the best place to post an example??

cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickya View Post
    Hi Alan,

I'm still new to After Effects, so i may have done something wrong, where's the best place to post an example??

cheers

Mick
    I would normally upload a movie file to my own personal web space and then provide a link here in the forums. If yiou don't have any then try something like Youtube.

Also, I only dip into AE once in a while and am certainly no expert. If it;s simple then maybe post the project files somewhere as well. Maybe someone more in the know than I can open it and fathom out what's wrong.

There's probarbly nothing wrong with it, i'm just to picky. i'll upload the clip to youtube and post the link.

Here's the link:

It looks as though you're using linear keyframes. Try adjusting the keyframes to smooth out the movement. If you're serious about AE then I suggest you grab Trish and Chris Meyer's Creating Motion Graphics books. They're for 6.5 but still an excellent resource.

I looked at that vid. didn't see anything obviously wrong tbh. I did get the impression that the changes in direction are curves ratehr than linear but just tight curves. Also, I don't think it helped that the clip look smore like ht eobject rotating than the camera moving - which I assume is what is actually happening given the subject of the discussion. Try adding a light source or something to emphasise that it is the camera moving rather than the words and then maybe widen the spline curves on the keyframes so the curves are not so tight.

Thanks for the help guy's, i switched the keyframes to bezier, and widened out the curves, looks a lot more realistic and fluid.

cheers