Thread: Some help...please...

Default Some help...please...

I am using Pro 2.0... and going through the "Classroom in a book" to try and learn. I pulled some video from my camera and put it together...looked great on the viewer..... did a export to DVD...tried 16x9 and 4:3...both burn fine but are very small on my TV....centered but small..

I know this will probably be a dumb question...I am a newb...

Blog Entries

Does the video in the preview screen fill the whole screen when you edit? What you see is what you get. What is the source of the video?

Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    I am using Pro 2.0... and going through the "Classroom in a book" to try and learn. I pulled some video from my camera and put it together...looked great on the viewer..... did a export to DVD...tried 16x9 and 4:3...both burn fine but are very small on my TV....centered but small..

I know this will probably be a dumb question...I am a newb...
    A dumb question? How could it be? you never actually asked any questions? lol

Seriously though... Answer Marc's questions. You should see on yoru TV from your DVD player what see in the 'program Window' of PPro. Ppro is wysiwyg so they should be very much the same. If not then the chances are you have your TV and/or dvd player on weird settings. If they are the same then you probably have started from the wrong project preset in PPro.

basically make sure all thje options you use are in sync with your camera. i.e. if your camera records widescreen (16:9) PAL then make sue you start with the 16:9 PAL project preset. Anything else will lead to extra work somewhere.

I've never done a DVD export (I use Encore for doing my DVDs so typivcally export to MPEG2 from PPRo) but presumably you have a bundle of MPEG settings to choose from to set bitrate for your DVD etc. Likely as not there is a widescraan PAl preset here as well. Choose that.

I suspect that somewhere you have switched modes in your workflow and this is causing your 'issues'.

I suspect, from what you said) that you had started with a 4:3 project and imported wiodescreen into and shrunk the image to fit. This will cause a small widescreen image to sit in the middle of the screen.

That may be the problem... the origanl footage was shot on a Sony TRV25.... I now have purchased a Sony HDR HC3 HDV camera and I transfered the footage from the tape using the HDV camera....

What inital settings should I use to transfer tape that was not taken in HD or widescreen for that matter...

I am guessing I will need to start over...

Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    That may be the problem... the origanl footage was shot on a Sony TRV25.... I now have purchased a Sony HDR HC3 HDV camera and I transfered the footage from the tape using the HDV camera....

What inital settings should I use to transfer tape that was not taken in HD or widescreen for that matter...

I am guessing I will need to start over...
    I suggest you start a new project with the preset that most closely (or even exactly) matches the footage you have shot. Then from inside that go into the capture tool. It will naturally assume you are capturing for the project. Capture from the camera it was shot in if possible. Once captured then you can safely trash your temporary project if necessary and use the AVI files you now have how ever you want.

I've never shot with one camera and attempted to capture with another (well, I did once but it was the same make and model so it doesn't count). If I had a tape shot in SD and needed to capture it from my high def camera I would change my FX1 to SD mdoe and then proceed. Once I change mode Premier Pro recognises it as just another SD camcorder.

Alan thanks. Only reason I am transfering with the new camera is old one died

I am having a hard time just getting Adobe to capture with the new camera...but I did some reading and went into the camera menu and changed a Ilink menu item and it seems to be working now in standard DV mode.

Let give it a whirl.....