Thread: AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool

Default AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool

Well, they said it couldn't be done.

Can it be? Is Hollywood's new DRM posterchild AACS (Advanced Access Content System, see more here) actually quite breakable? According to a post on our favoritest of forums (Doom9) by DRM hacker du jour muslix64, his new BackupHDDVD tool decrypts and dismantles AACS on a Windows PC. Just feed the small utility a crypto key (it comes bundled with keys for a few popular HD DVD titles, with the promise of more on the way), and it'll dump the video right off the disc onto your hard drive, supposedly playable in any HD DVD compatible player. If true, this would instantly become the DeCSS of high def optical, as AACS is the copy protection scheme used not only by HD DVD, but by Blu-ray as well.
    BackupHDDVD tool creator's original thread [here]

Acknowledgements
    Quote taken from Endgadget.com

Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Blimmey that was quick, although of course inevitable. I doubt I will invest in HD media until I can rip them to my PC for playback.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you should be able to play them on your PC if you have a HDCP compatible card?

However, this backupHDDVD program, along with the title keys required to decrypt the film, will make it possible to rip all HD-DVD's. Also, with some modification I believe this can be made to work for Blu-ray too.

The guy who created this program said he will be releasing a version tomorrow which works with the unique volume keys (whatever they are) instead of the title keys which I understand to mean that it will be even easier to decrypt and backup the films.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

I meant to say rip them to a PC so that I can play the film direct from my hard drive without

1) the 'whiring' noise of a PC optical drive
    2) the annoying nag installation screens when you insert some DVD films
    3) the slow(er) access speeds of the drive