Thread: How do you record STRAIGHT to the camera?

Cool How do you record STRAIGHT to the camera?

Name's Alex.

I watch a lot of videos online of people playing video games or making amvs and I would like to be able to hook my DCR-TRV280 directly to my receiver to record me playing my video games DIRECTLY to the camera.

Not just point the camera at the tv screen and hit record because that is just crap.

How do I go about doing this?

Blog Entries

(1) Do you mean to say you would like to capture the screen of a PC? If this is the case, then you will need a screen capture utilty such as FRAPS or Hypercam. These programmes will capture what's on the PC screen and have been extensively covered within the forums.

(2) If you want to record another source such as an Xbox to your PC for editing, you will need a camcorder with an analogue pass through. This will enable you to connect the xbox via s-video or composite cables to your camcorder, and then to your PC using firewire. You could of course use the analogue in to record to a MiniDV tape and then later transfer to your PC. If you wanted to use this method with your PC, you would need a graphics card with VIVO, and connect the video-out to the analogue in connections on your camcorder. Note that if you do this, you will have to either watch the PC screen on the tiny LCD viewer to play, or play the game on the PC screen at a very low resolution (unless your card can drive two seperate resolutions, which is unlikely.

However, I've looked at the specs of your camcorder and it's very unlikely that it has analogue in and your only option is (1) above.