Thread: Jerky Video

Angry Jerky Video

I have just bought a Canon S3 IS (this is a digital camera not a camcorder) and have been trying out the various functions.
    If I record a movie clip the replay is fine on the camera LCD but when I replay the clip on my computer from the downloaded file the movie pauses every few seconds. What am I doing wrong?
    This is my first posting so any help to a Newby would be very much appreciated

Blog Entries

It would help if you could give us some details on the specifications of your PC and the software with which you are playing back the software.

If your PC is reasonably old there is a chance, although remote, that is is not able to decode the MPEG4 (video file) quick enough, hence the juddering. This could be solved by using decoding software and / or playback software which is less processor intensive.

My system is:-

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    Processor 1.6Ghz Pentium M
    Hard Drive 60Gb
    Ram 1.5Gb
    Graphics Radeon Mobility 9200

I have tried recording at 320x240 15 fps as well as 640x480 30fps but it makes no difference - the replay is just as jerky.

How big in terms of megabytes are the actual video clips? And what file format are they? Mov, avi or something else?

File is 47Mb on AVI MJPEG

File is 47Mb on AVI MJPEG

Blog Entries

Open the task manager (control - alt - delete all at the same time), select performance and play the video - if it is 100% then the pc isnt powerfull enough to play the video.

You could also make sure you have the motion jpeg codec installed, but you probably have if it is trying to play. Maybe try another as mjpegs can use lots of pc power to watch and some codecs may be more efficient than others - just google it.