Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: capturing video

Default capturing video

hi guys,

when i capture the tape to my PC it is captured like 1 file.why? when i capture another tapes it's ok. the tape was once used before.

Quote Originally Posted by eXtreme View Post
    hi guys,

when i capture the tape to my PC it is captured like 1 file.why? when i capture another tapes it's ok. the tape was once used before.
    Please exlpain further.

Yeah you need to be more specific dude!

hmm...so..i'll try...i recorded about 15-20 clips(it's about 1 hour) on a tape. but when i tried to get them to my pc, the whole tape was captured only like one clip, not each clip separated,like it should be.

#1 - If you had Vegas set to capture using Scene Detect then the VEGAS side should be good to go.

#2 - The ONE big clip tape, sounds to me as if the camera's date and time was not set AND/OR the camera's SYSTEM battery is faulty.
    Last edited by Grazie; 12-31-2006 at 10:43 PM.

TDA-Digital Guest

Default Just to Make Sure

Two slightly unrelated questions for you, but each could lead to a proper solution.

Can we assume that you are using Sony Vegas software (since you are in this section of the forum, I assume so) – just checking?

Some cameras allow “indexing” of the camera’s tape (my Panasonic dose), so could your tape be “indexed” in several locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    #1 - If you had Vegas set to capture using Scene Detect then the VEGAS side should be good to go.

#2 - The ONE big clip tape, sounds to me as if the camera's date and time was not set AND/OR the camera's SYSTEM battery is faulty.
    #1 where is this setting exactly?

#2 i'm sure the date and time was set...and the system battery...well i tried to record some clips on a new tape (i didn't change any settings on camera or in vegas) and it worked without a problem...so the system battery should be ok too...

Quote Originally Posted by TDA-Digital View Post
    Two slightly unrelated questions for you, but each could lead to a proper solution.

Can we assume that you are using Sony Vegas software (since you are in this section of the forum, I assume so) – just checking?

Some cameras allow “indexing” of the camera’s tape (my Panasonic dose), so could your tape be “indexed” in several locations?
    yes, i'm using sony vegas 5

my cam is a sony DCR-VX 2100, it can do indexes, but i'm not using them

Interesting! I've just installed a copy of Vegas 6 to play with, and although I think I have detect set right, it seems not to want to do it every time (same original tape). Pinnacle detects perfectly, which is a b nuisance!
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

For Vegas 6 or Vegas 7, when Vegas Video Capture [ often referred to as VidCap] is fired up, check for these two settings:

Setting 1 - Options > Preferences > General tab check "Enable DV device control"

Setting 2 - Options > Preferences > Capture check "Enable DV device control"

Go "APPLY" and "OK"

This works for me.

Now, there WAS an instance for PAL that I always had to check "Minimum clip length (seconds)" and enter 1 - for one second - this forces Vegas to ignore anything under 1 second OR that actually enabling this "feature" got my capture process going. In any event, I always have this option set the way I describe.

The OTHER setting you may wish to confirm is back in the main Vegas program that you have:

Options > Preferences > Video "Use external video capture application" and have this checked AND if you haven't a path, check for the correct path to VidCap60.exe. Though my experience is that this is set from install, and have never had to change/confirm or fiddle with it.

But, as a side observation, and you say Pinnacle is doing a good job, could it possibly be that the Pinnacle "capture" program is fighting with the VidCap program? Maybe, and I am assuming that you ARE using firewire, that both capture utilities are rushing off to muscle their way onto the f/w control?

As I say, this works for me. I have just checked my Vegas 5 - same. And also my Sonic Foundry Vegas 4 - same here too. I'd check Vegas Video 3, bu it isn't on my main NLE machine! Sorry.

But the point I'm making here, is that back to VV4 these HAVE been the settings and have worked well. My thoughts are that you IF you have set as per my settings - and they work for me - you have to have some "other" issue that isn't allowing consistency when attempting to capture SCENES? And that maybe control of the firewire is being fought over. Have any opportunity to check this out on a NON-Pinnacle-ed machine? Or is there a way to temporarily disable Pinnacle's capture program? I don't know what would happen to Pinnacle IF you did? But again, and if you have followed my settings, something, other than VidCap, is impeding Scene Detect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast