Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some advice please

1. Default some advice please

I just bought a new 250gb western digital internal hard drive.
    I have a 200gb hard drive already in my computer.
    So I was wondering what would be the best way to set it all up.
    Should I just set up the new hard drive for my editing, and keep the old drive for my OS?
    Or would some kind of raid setup be a good choice.
    What about setting up like 150gb from each drive in a raid config and then use the remaining 100gb on the new drive for OS and programs, and the remaining 50gb on the other drive, setup up for backing up my files or something like that?
    About 80% of my time on the computer is editing so I do want to get the best setup possible. I also just bought the ati radeon x1950 pro 256mb video card. After Effects has been very with some of the comps ive been doing lately. I already increased my ram from 1gb to 2gb and I didnt notice much of a difference. Hopefully with the new hard drive and video card I will.
    I've read the info on this site and some others Ive found on editing pc's, but a lot of it still confuses me, so any advice would be appreciated. thanks
    much easier with a computer

Blog Entries

One for OS / apps and one for video would be the best I think.

With a raid, if the discs dont match I dont think you can still use the 'spare', you just lose it.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply Mark
    So I have bought another(3rd) drive - external 250gb this time thinking I could make a backup of my current drive, but it seems as though you cant boot Windows using a external drive - I guess I can just back up all the important data such as my footage/videos and my music, etc.
    Anyway I got a 200gb and 250gb internal and a 250gb external now -...

So OS on the first internal drive and footage on the second internal drive - does that mean all the programs including all editing programs such as After Effects and Premiere should be on the OS system drive.
    And what about photos and audio? Should they be on the second drive also - Should all compatible file formats be on the second drive that I will be using to edit?
    I also read that it is wise to have your OS on a separate partition from your program files and data.
    The way I am understanding it now I should put all my video/audio/photos and editing software on the 2nd drive and my OS and files on the first drive - possibly partitioning the first drive
    Does this sound correct? I am pretty confused so any more advice is appreciated.

Blog Entries

I am getting a bit out my depth here.... I am really repeating advice given to me in good faith.

I think a seperate partition for windows mean that a reinstall is lesss painfull, you dont lose any content files. I am pretty sure you would still have to reinstall all apps still.

I also think it is best to have OS and apps on one drive and content, especially video, on another.

The os drive should also be the fastest.

I have my os and apps on a small very fast drive, a 10,000 rpm raptor - this has a very fast access time, with all my content on 3 other drives, some copied onto 2 drives for safety.

I am sure the fast os drive makes my system much more responsive as I am always struck by how sluggish friends similarly fast pcs feel.

I hope someone more teccy can chip in as I really am no expert technically.

5. Default

the new WD internal drive I got is 7200rpm but I dont know the speed of the one in my system already - whatever the system came with. I am guessing it is probably the same speed.
    The editing software should not be on the second drive with the video? - I dont know why but for some reason I thought it should be -
    So the second drive is just going to be like a big storage unit for the raw and final video - no applications at all

6. Default

According to the listed specs on cnet my original hard drive is almost the same as the new one I just bought. The only difference being that the new one is 50gb more.

If this is the case could I then use a raid 0 setup with these two drives, setting up a separate partition for the OS and Apps with the remaining 50gb on the new drive.

I can backup the important info to the external drive so I dont need to worry about losing all my work.

If either of the drives do fail will the OS on the separate partition be lost also - or just the two in the raid setup?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odroller View Post
    If this is the case could I then use a raid 0 setup with these two drives, setting up a separate partition for the OS and Apps with the remaining 50gb on the new drive.
    I believe not, no. You will merely lose the extra disc space on the drive which is larger.

8. Default

Thanks Marc - actually I took out the other drive and checked it and it is not the same any way
    I will just go with the basic route that Mark stated
    so thanks Mark and Marc

Blog Entries

I am yet to be convinced that raiding gives huge speed gains. I know raid 0 can speed things up but I remember reading a comparison on ant and deck, that tweaking site (I think) comparing a system with a 10,000 rpm raptor sys with a raid 0 raptor system, the gains were marginal.

From personal expirience i am a fan of a fast raptor for the system disc, this for me gives worthwile improvements in desk top somoothness - fast opening / closing of apps especially.

Also raid 0 is actually less safe as the loss of one drive can be catastrophic. I am a fan (but not user) of raid 1, this gives very good security but means you need more discs for the same storage.

Blog Entries

Do you mean anandtech.com Mark?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast