Thread: Advice on rugged portable DVR recording from bullet/lipstick cam?

Lightbulb Advice on rugged portable DVR recording from bullet/lipstick cam?

I'm trying to find the best setup for a portable (720x480 hi-res) DVR recorder (instead of my Sony TRV22) connected to a bullet camera and mic. Something more concealable and rugged than typical setup.

Using something like a an EX-VIEW CCD (580 line resolution) bullet cam, is there a portable device on the market I can plug the ' RCA to AV IN/OUT ' cable into? Is there a USB to RCA adapter to record to the portable DVR? Would I need drivers etc? I don't know where to begin.

Is the Archos my best option? (re: http://www.skullcamz.com/) I need something small with 20 Gigs+ memory.

I'm a little frustrated! Try asking 4 F*tureShop employees who "don't DO sales" what you are trying to accomplish...

( )

-EmagDnim

Blog Entries

Here is a list of cameras with av in, http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/avcamcorders.htm

They sell nice bullet cams too.

Personally, if I was broke I would get a cheap s/h dv cam, if I could afford it i would use an archos.

Hi,
    dont mean to hijack your thread ,but as you are talking about portable dvr's, i just got one,its a 40gb model for 140 the unit itself is very sturdy with a 4" screen,anyway the poblem is i also got a bullet cam(480) and when i record the picture is good but no colour i have read all info on the dvr/camera and to no avail i cant seem to get a colour picture its doing my head in,have emailed the supplier but hey its the holidays init

Blog Entries

I would suggest that you try a different (better) S-Video cable. This can often cause problems resulting in a black and white picture. Alternatively your bullet cam may be outputting an NTSC signal whilst the DVR is PAL.

Try connecting to a TV or other device, then try different cables.

Hi ,
    tried the pal/ntsc and no change on both settings,just tried it direct into tv getting same as before its not picking up on the colours , could make out the colour red but it was not true red it was like distorted illuminous red ,yellow just comes up as white ect ,wont even pick up on skin tone ect must be a faulty unit,but when directed at tv it did pick up colours a bit better i know they need light but i had this out this afternoon and it was bright /plus a few good strong light sources to see if it improved but nothing,it does seem strange

Default Thanks for help

I'm going to use my sony, devise a harness to attach to my camerabag to my chest, and purchase a bullet-cam and mic.

What should I look for as far as resolution, what is overkill with my trv-22?

I'm hoping to find a rugged bullet cam that wont die with the occasional crash !

Blog Entries

mini DV has 520 lines of resolution, so getting a lens to match this will provide optimal image quality. Note that all you will be doing is using the camera as a recording device - the quality will come almost entirlely from the lens itself (i.e the bulletcam).

Take a look at this: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcampro520.htm

I have bought from them in the past. Small outfit, but quick turnaround time.