Thread: XL2 Last min questions before I buy...

Default XL2 Last min questions before I buy...

I am finally purchasing an xl2 but before I do so I would love if u guys could answer some questions before hand...

Note: Not planning on purchasing Redrockmicro M2 Adapter

1.) I intend on using this camera for making movies and would therefore need to obtain a shallow depth of field... After extensively researching the xl2 and the various options, I have narrowed my choice down to two. 1, using the 3x wide angle lens or using the EF Adapter with a purchased slr lens... If any of u have any info on either methods I would greatly appreciate it... I was also wondering whether or not it is possible to manage using this camera without the 20x zoom lens... Do any of you just own the body with a 3 x wide angle lens?

2.) The xl 2 has been out for quite some time now... Do any of u have any idea whether or not canon is planing on continuing their non hd xl devision?

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

To get shallow dof without a 35mm convertor you need a fully open aperature and move back from your subject and zoom in.

I am not sure changing the lens will achieve shallow dof, esp to anything wide angle.

As an alternative to shallow dof make sure you light things well to bring out your subject - those light reflector gizmos the stills people use are very usefull to do this.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Another thought - have you hefted an XL2? Many, myself included can find the balance awfull for extended hand held work.

Thanks for the info.
    I was under the impression that the wide angle lens would be able to obtain a descent shallow depth of field... is that idea wrong?

Itís more difficult to achieve shallow depth of field with wide angles.

Longer focal lengths give shallower depth of field because the relative distances of objects in front of the lens are more pronounced. Things like portrait lenses exploit this to render subjects sharp while throwing even a close background well out of focus.