Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shall I get it now or wait?

Default Shall I get it now or wait?

OK, I'm looking at getting a nice new PC soon. I intend to have one of those jolly old Matrox RT.X100 real-time cards put in it. My dilemma is that with the announcement from Adobe of Premier Pro 1.5 being a month (or so) away, should I wait so that the system has v1.5 bundled in and, more importantly pre-configured with the hardware, or should I buy now getting Pro V1 (sounds like a golf ball - ed!) pre-configured and going through the necessary freebie upgrades when all s/w and drivers are released.

Is configuring an RT.X100 with Premiere Pro a difficult experience? or is it just plug-and-pray? Anyone bought one independently and done the config themselves with a story to tell?

Adobe claim the new s/w will be shipping end of May. Allow some time for Matrox to start bundling the new versions with the card (drivers currently in beta apparently) and allow a little more time for manufacturers to have it all pre-configured into the latest boxes and I might end up waiting a few months maybe.

Opinions/advice/comments welcome?

Blog Entries

Get it now, get it now!!!

Does that help?

hmmm thanks Marc, but I'm more interested in the 'real world' issues Imight have gettign Premiere Pro talking to the matrox card. That's the issue that might hold me up.

Of course I want it now!!!! lol

well, how much are you willing to spend on your new system? As far as hardware goes, there are a bunch of new technologies that are going to be out by the end of june including DDR2, PCI Express, BTX cases, and some other stuff. Wait until then if you want to get the best hardware.
    Pentium 4 2.4C
    1GB Kingston HyperX PC4000 Dual-Channel
    Abit IS7-G
    2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB Cache RAID 0
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro
    Sony DVD-ROM
    NEC CD-RW
    NEC 19\" CRT

Quote Originally Posted by MoJoe
    well, how much are you willing to spend on your new system?.
    Currently budgetting on about 2500 (inlcuding the realtime card)

there are a bunch of new technologies that are going to be out by the end of june including DDR2, PCI Express, BTX cases
    ...and these are what exactly?

srry but i really don't have time to go into all of that. just google them.
    Pentium 4 2.4C
    Abit IS7-G
    Sony DVD-ROM
    NEC CD-RW
    NEC 19\" CRT

Yeah, as as soon as I typed the reply i went straight to google. Should have done that first really so sorry for that.

But anyway, back to the original question. once I'm ready to buy I will NOT wait for the new versions. Adobe hope to ship the s/w by end of May. An email from Matrox just now informs me that they expect to start shipping mid/end June. Then there will be the inevitable delay from PC vendors so I'm realistically looking to wait till well into July at the earliest for a configured PC.

So I'll buy it as soon as I'm ready and have a fun (?) day doing all the upgrades in a few months when they come through eh?

A couple of things here

-Build your own PC! It's cheaper, more customizable, and pretty fun too. Come on, don't be a wimp! it's not that hard!

-what's the bundled thing with Premiere? What are you trying to get this with? unless you can get a hardware discount because you bought it with some software, then....

-Screw Premiere, Get Vegas 5! It's here, and it's awesome. I've used both Premiere and Vegas for a while and I must say that Vegas is tops. I don't think that the changes in the most recent versions will make much difference.
    Pentium 4 2.4C
    Abit IS7-G
    Sony DVD-ROM
    NEC CD-RW
    NEC 19\" CRT

Blog Entries

I do agree that Vegas is top notch. I think I'd only choose Premiere over Vegas purely for the amount of "community" support for Premiere - and I've used it for what seems like an age. Finally, there's no dedicated hardware bundle with Vegas (for example the RT.X100 and Premiere).

I'd also agree with the build your own option. It's s simple to do, but it's really suited for people that like to solve problems themselves You'd be surprised at some of the support calls at PC firms...

New PC now officially ordered!! Provisionally scheduled for delivery on 3rd June when (I think) I'll be at home with the kids during half term break.

Hopefully it'll all be ok and I'll be able to complete my comp entry with a little help from the rt.x100 - if I can learn Premiere Pro in time.

I'll let you all know how things are when it gets here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast