Thread: Lagging Problems in Video Editing

Default Lagging Problems in Video Editing

I have both Adobe Premier Elements 2.0 and Ulead Video Studio 7. Both run pretty slow for the computer I have. I have plenty of hard drive space and have a 1 gig of ram, and a good video card. What I don't understand is why is lag once and awhile and takes so long to render in Adobe Premier Elements? Its a hassle to edit anything? What I wanted to know is if there were any medium priced editing software that would load and not give me lagging issues. Or any other information would be appreciated.

Are you working with DV AVI material, or other formats? Is it HDV?

I am not working with HDV. All the video I used to do was through AVI, but since AVI is harder to convert and edit with I imported the footage again but in Mpeg this time. So now I am working mostly with Mpeg files that sometimes up to 10gb. I know that is big, but I figured with having a fast processor and plenty of space on my computer that it should run smoothly. I heard from other people I know that having different software like final cut pro makes a huge difference in speed wise. Its just really expensive and a little more than what I want to pay for right now. Anything would help. Cause I really want to have be able to edit with no hassle, and I thought by having a top of the line computer would make a huge difference, but the programs still run slow?

Working with compressed material (MPEG, for instance) is surely slower than with DV AVI.

Blog Entries

I am not sure about mpeg / DV editing performance, certainly anything mpeg 4 would be clunkier to edit whilst on hte timeline.

As for rendering that is always slow, on every real world computer with every piece of software.

I would be very suprised if fcp is faster than anything else.

I just get annoyed because with adobe premier elements, I have to render after everytime I do a change to the timeline or else it becomes all pixelated. On some of my video when I right click it for the format, it just says video clip. I am not sure if format has a huge impact, I think the software is a bigger part. I don't use any mpeg 4 because that would just be freezing my computer up probably. I am debating on getting Sony Vegas or Avid because I heard those are really good to edit with. It just takes me forever to create something with all the rendering. Have any of you experienced a problem where you go to insert the clip into the timeline and it does'n't give you the whole clip. I am wondering if that has something to do with the format?