Thread: How to clean and demagnetize the VCR heads?

1. Default How to clean and demagnetize the VCR heads?

I was given this advice by an unknown member of a remote forum that I need to do this to view dvd-like quality sharpness on my old vhs tapes that I need to transfer to DV for storage.

What would you recommend me to do this on a hi8, s-vhs camcorder and s-vhs VCR.
    I also want to know if is better to use a wet or dry cleaning head kit
    Last edited by peruano; 12-18-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Blog Entries

I would recommend manual cleaning with Isopropyl Alcolhol, cotton buds and EXTREME CARE! Examine the transport mechanism too and clean the posts etc if required. Don't forget the erase head too, thats the one that usually collects the most muck, which can then get dragged across everything else.

Be very careful indeed around the heads on the drum. I use a large magnifying glass to view when I do it.

If you can get a new belt kit, replace that too while you've got the chance.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    I would recommend manual cleaning with Isopropyl Alcolhol, cotton buds and EXTREME CARE! Examine the transport mechanism too and clean the posts etc if required. Don't forget the erase head too, thats the one that usually collects the most muck, which can then get dragged across everything else.

Be very careful indeed around the heads on the drum. I use a large magnifying glass to view when I do it.

If you can get a new belt kit, replace that too while you've got the chance.
    Is manual cleaning always better then using a tape cleaner? If so I think I will have to take it to the service man again.

Blog Entries

Have a go yourself. It's not that scary.

Blog Entries

None of this cleaning will give you dvd like sharpness from old vhs tapes, your friend is mis informed.

The best you can do is to improve the vhs to it's pretty awaful best, about 200 line resoloution with smeary colours (esp red) and jiggly lines at he bottom. DOnt be dissapointed if the cleaned machine gives these results, that really is the best for vhs.

6. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    None of this cleaning will give you dvd like sharpness from old vhs tapes, your friend is mis informed.

The best you can do is to improve the vhs to it's pretty awaful best, about 200 line resoloution with smeary colours (esp red) and jiggly lines at he bottom. DOnt be dissapointed if the cleaned machine gives these results, that really is the best for vhs.
    I also have s-vhs and vhs-et for transfer will they get DVD or HDTV like quality?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    I also have s-vhs and vhs-et for transfer will they get DVD or HDTV like quality?
    No, not anywhere near. SVHS is better than standard, but still far short of the quality you seem to be expecting. Well done to Mark for picking up that point, I was just focusing on the head cleaning aspects.