Thread: Decompressor for fourcc xvid and crashing

Default Decompressor for fourcc xvid and crashing

I've been trying to convert these avi movies i have into mpeg dvd movies using a program called 'Avi2Dvd'. Everytime I try to convert i get an error message at the end saying that "AVISource couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc xvid"

I read somewhere that it might have something to do with hex coding and to use virtualdub to try and correct it. (being dumb in the subject matter) i opened my virtualdub and tried to open the avi file. before i could do anything i was given the error message: "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID'(unknown) Virtual Dub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video, DirectShow codecs, such as those used by windows media player are not suitable."

One more thing: This avi file is one of many avi files that i downloaded off of Lime Wire....everytime i open a program to open one of these files, i have to quickly click on one and hit open...if i linger, the program will crash, including windows explorer. If i don't place my mouse over them the program won't crash, but after i do...its just dies. I was able to burn them on cd's and play them on my cousins laptop and they worked crashing.

Please Help, thanks

Well folks, i thank all of you who even stopped to look at my question, but i've found my answer. I did some searching and found that i needed a new xvid stopped the crashing and i'm able to convert to dvd now, no problem. i had thought that if it played the movie then i didn't need a new codec, apparently you can still play a movie and need to have a new codec, otherwise your computer freaks out.....weird.......