Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question involving avi's

Default question involving avi's

I have looked throuh the pages, and some threads that might've answered my question, but didn't get the answer I need...

When I try to add a video that is avi, it adds it in, then says "building peaks" but it doesn't actually add the video, or the audio, it just adds a blank track.

Before, when I would want to add video, but it's an AVI format, I would have to add it in windows movie maker first, get the scene I want, save it as a WMV file, then add it into vegas. It takes me longer to do the video, than just adding the video straight to vegas like I would.

Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Please explain simpler and clearer.

In any event, I just add AVIs to my Vegas7c timeline and I get bioth Video and Audio.

Blog Entries

It sounds like you need to install a DV codec.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    It sounds like you need to install a DV codec.
    It could be one of several thousand AvI codecs. AVI is one of the oldes digital video formats and hence there are thousands of codecs out there. Find out what codec the AVI in question uses, install it and it should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by irishmark View Post
    It could be one of several thousand AvI codecs. AVI is one of the oldes digital video formats and hence there are thousands of codecs out there. Find out what codec the AVI in question uses, install it and it should be fine

How do I find out what AVI Codec it is?

I'm having much the same problem. I have myself a a large AVI movie which I want to cut a 5 or so minute clip out of, but when I import it into Vegas, I can only edit the audio, not the video. I'm a Vegas noob, and basically a video editting noob, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If it is actually a codec problem, then how do I find out what type of coded I need, and where do I find them?

I would just plug the video into Windows Movie Maker, but every time I try to import this large of a file (600 megs) it crashes.

Update: I'v now downloaded a few codecs. I'v downloaded GSpot, which I believe has told me the codec I need is "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3." I then downloaded Xvid, http://www.free-codecs.com/MPEG_Laye...c_download.htm , http://www.afreecodec.com/details.php?id=7, and http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm . I closed and reopened Vegas 7.0b each time, and now I can import the AVI file, however I can't get it onto the timeline.

I dragged it into the Trimmer, however it says Media Offline.

Have you got "Ignore Third Party DV Codecs" enabled in Options > Preferences > General?

Maybe this will allow you to do your editing?

Yes, it is enabled. I tried toggling it off and it still wouldn't work. I'v turned it back on.

Just tested Vegas with a different .wmv file, and a different (and much smaller) .avi file. Both worked. However, with this one file (very large, almost 700 megs), it will not work. It won't let me drag and drop it into the timeline and when I drag it into the trimmer it says Media Offline in the trimmer window. Reinstalls do not work. :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast