Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: editing software

Default editing software

Hi to all.
    This is my first post.
    I am a complete novice videographer hopeing to make it my new career.
    I have a Canon XLIs that i am presently learning about.
    I have very small amount of money to spend on software for editing.I have the chance to buy adobe Premiere 6 for 100 pounds.Is this a good one to go for?If not recommendations would be greatly appreiciated.
    Also,there is no room inside my computer to fit firewire,are there other ways to download from my camera to the hard drive?
    Any information you deem relevent to an absolute beginner would be great.
    The other thing i would like to know, is it very hard to edit?
    I hope somebody out there can help me.
    Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Hi to all.
    This is my first post.
    I am a complete novice videographer hopeing to make it my new career.
    I have a Canon XLIs that i am presently learning about.
    I have very small amount of money to spend on software for editing.I have the chance to buy adobe Premiere 6 for 100 pounds.Is this a good one to go for?If not recommendations would be greatly appreiciated.
    Personally, with that budget, if you are looking at going Adobe then spend your 100 pounds on the Premiere elements/Photoshop Elements bundle. When you start making some money then think about Premiere Pro.
    Also,there is no room inside my computer to fit firewire,are there other ways to download from my camera to the hard drive?
    Then you are completely scuppered my friend :( The XL1 is a Mini DV camera and records to tape if I'm not mistaken. It's a good camera. They used Canon XL1s to film "28 Days Later". But you absolutely WILL NEED FIREWIRE to capture your footage. You are quite simply wasting your time doing it any other way.
    Any information you deem relevent to an absolute beginner would be great.
    The other thing i would like to know, is it very hard to edit?
    It can be as easy or as hard as you want. In it's simplest form editing is recording your footage in chunks or scenes and simply laying them side by side in the editor and fine tuning the in and out points. Your hardest part in the very short term will be designing and building your DVD menus.
    I hope somebody out there can help me.
    Many thanks in advance.
    I hope I've helps a little. Sorry the bad firewire news though.

Default thanks

Hi Alan.
    Thanks very much for all the information.
    The thing is i have one slot left inside the computer that would take a firewire but it would be very close to my graphics card above,probably touching.My worry is that the firewire would overheat.Any thoughts on that Alan?
    Thanks again.

Hi Alan.
    Thanks very much for all the information.
    The thing is i have one slot left inside the computer that would take a firewire but it would be very close to my graphics card above,probably touching.My worry is that the firewire would overheat.Any thoughts on that Alan?
    Thanks again.
    I'm not a hardware guy so would have to bow to other people's better judgement on that. Sorry. However, if the slot is free then get yourself a firewire card because the simple fact is, you need one for video capture. Do you currently have a USB port card fitted? If so then invest in a usb/firewire card and replace the one you have. You can get card with both USB and firewire ports on.

Default thanks

Thanks again Alan.
    My usb is part of my mother board so i don`t want to mess around with that.I think i will buy a firewire,usb card anyway to give it a try.
    the advice you`ve given me has been very helpful.
    Thanks again mate.
    Would it be okay to contact you with other questions in the future?
    Cheers

Default Me again

Sorry for all the questions Alan.
    I have the chance of Adobe Premiere Pro for #135.00.Would it matter to me if it is Pro 1 or 1.5 instead of 2?
    Cheers mate.

Sorry for all the questions Alan.
    I have the chance of Adobe Premiere Pro for #135.00.Would it matter to me if it is Pro 1 or 1.5 instead of 2?
    Cheers mate.
    Not really. V2 has lots of new features but v1 or 1.5 will more than be able to get you going.

If it's not a new copy then ensure you get the registration transfer form all signed as well.

And if you have any more question then just ask away at these forums. If I;m around and know the answer then I'll answer. There's better guys and gals here than me though.

Just as an outside thought there, Tel, do you have a soundcard or do you use on board sound from the motherboard?
    If a card, you could look at replacing that with something such as Sound Blast Audigy x (I have Audigy 1 which has a firewire port and that works fine for video capture).

Cheers,
    Rich

Default thanks

Hi Richard,
    i have a seperate sound card from the motherboard.I have now found a slot for firewire.My main concern was that the graphics card will be above it and they will probably touch so heat may be an issue,any thoughts?
    Thanks for the info mate.

No, sorry, except that for the cost of a firewire or usb/firewire card, you can find out easily anyway. If your system has more than the one main fan, you could look at fitting case fans depending on the type of case - tower cases tend to have one or more extra points onto which you can screw another fan, with spare power points running of the main cable. The fans themselves are pretty cheap to get your hands on. I'm uncertain about power supply issues, though, so if looking into it you're best to find some info from a proper tech-head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast