Thread: Help with an effect: so it looks like turning on a television...

Default Help with an effect: so it looks like turning on a television...

hello to all

a complete virgin to this forum as you may have noticed, i seek wisdom within these pages.

ive got this piece of video im working on and the soundtrack starts with a chord played on guitar, hard to describe what it sounds like but basically it woulf fit perfectly if the video would start with the chord just like when a tv seeks a channel for the first time....

u no, when it goes from black, almost 'puffs' into life, splitsecond of blurred colours on the screen to a picture with like almost diagonal tracking fuzz moving sideays across the screen on it then to the proper video...

tbh i have no real idea on where to start creating the effect and was hoping someone would have an idea or 2...

thanks!

Your TV must be from the 70's if it looks like all that when you turn it on!!!

Seriously though, dunno about the diagonal fuzz but the blurt onto screen with blurred colour could be simulated I guess with a couple of (otherwise) cheesey transitions and a bright coloured still along with some blur effects and some opacity changes.

haha, no fortunately my tv doesnt do that when i turn it on!

but yeh the blurred spurt thing (this is starting to sound wierd lol) i could probably make a descent job of, it was more the tracking fuzz that i have no idea about.

but thanx anyways!
    gotta be the quickest reply ive ever had on a forum

OK , tracking fuzz....

Just thinking out loud here but...

Create a single graphic in your favourite image editor that is way way bigger than your video project dimensions. Make the image a sort of diagonal gradient that repeats.

Drop it on your timeline, keyframe it's position over time so it rolls up the screen at an angle. Apply keyframed blurs, brightness and contrast to it (maybe even with some gradient masking). Use an old style movie filter to add lots of grain and you should be away.

thats def an idea...thanks a lot.

ill give that a go wen i get bak from work tomorrow, post my results lol

thanks again