Thread: New to all this...

Default New to all this...

Hello everyone, i recently purchased a digital video camera, i purchased it for it's size and portability, i know it isn't the best quality but it'll do.

I bought the Samsung SC-X205L. Like i said i bought it for the size and convenience, i can just slip it in my pocket and take it with me wherever i got. The thing is the whole editting process.

I think i'll be able to capture the raw stuff creatively and all, i've been into photography for a few years now, and i have a nice DSLR, but i needed to find something to get for christmas and i fell in love with this one when i saw it. It'll mostly be for filming friends and stuff and just recording the things i do with my good friends, girlfriend, etc. I chose it for the size cause my DSLR is just too big to carry everywhere i go.

So... as far as editting goes... yeah, where do i start? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for editting the stuff. I have the stuff windows comes with, which is decent i suppose, not to mention i have photoshop (i use it for my photography, white balance, cropping, all that ethical stuff). But do i have to buy special programs for the editting and all?

I'm new to all this so any help will be appreciated, i just want to have a grip on this when i get my camera for christmas.

thanks all!

Hi welcome to the forum, i've been here since aug 05, the time just goes in so quickly and if you stick around you'll learn an awful lot. There are a great bunch of men and women on here who go out of their way to help especially people new to digital video editing. I wouldn't treat moving pictures the same as still pictures, don't get people to pose for you but instead act like a fly on the wall and try and record their natural behaviour. Also, don't be tempted to get into conversation with whoever your videoing (well, depending on who it is or what you're doing - i think we'll leave that one for another day!). Video is far more versatile as you can record action and reaction and of course you have sound aswell. Narrative or beginning, middle and end to a story are important for storytelling in movies, you don't need to make two hour long films to start with but i would start watching advertisements on tv. They only last for 30 seconds but tell an entire story, so it's a case of if they can do that in 30 seconds then you can make short, interesting films that make your audience want to come back time and time again. As far as needing anything else is concerned, do you have a reasonably powerful computer, preferably a desktop model or a customized laptop? If you have tell us what spec it is in your next post. As you are aware Windows comes with Movie Maker 2, which is great for starting out with but it's output options are limited. You might want to consider Adobe Premiere Elements 3 which allows you to capture, edit and record or 'burn' your finished movie out to DVD. Is your camcorder a Mini DV model or a DVD model? You won't be using Photoshop unless it is to make title slides, or fix still pictures before you combine them into the video. If you have a Mini DV camcorder you'll need a firewire cable to connect it to a firewire socket on your computer, or have you done that already?

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter View Post
    It'll mostly be for ... recording the things i do with my girlfriend
    When you get around to this can you let me know. I may be interested in a copy

Sign me up for one aswell LOL