Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Confused - can you guide me please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Barrow in Furness Cumbria U.K.
    Posts
    7

    Default Confused - can you guide me please

    Hi

    I am thinking of buying a high definition camcorder (Sony or Canon) and have a hi def tv to play video on.

    However, I am not sure which route to go down - can you help please.

    1st, whichever camcorder I buy I would like to edit movies....I will buy a package that does this...but, when I burn to dvd, am I getting a Hi-def DVD?

    Do I need to buy a new DVD burner to get Hi-def or will my trusty but old Pioneer 106 work?

    If I have to get a new dv burner, will the disks need a hi-def dvd burner to play them on the TV?

    Alternatively, I could buy a camcorder which used tapes...could I then edit in hi-def and input from the pc back to camcorder tape and play that into tv as hi-def?

    Another camcorder had dvd burner incorporated but to play the dvd you need a blue ray player - do not have one?

    Does this mean that I have to buy a blue ray player whichever route I go down...

    In short, what do I need to edit hi-def ivideos and play them back on a hi=def TV please?

    hjelp would be much appreciated if possible and I look forward to hearing from you.

    I apologise if this is a prtetty basic question but don't want to make a wrong purchase!

    Thanks a lot

    Ray

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Barrow in Furness Cumbria U.K.
    Posts
    7

    Default Any help please?

    Any thoughts from anyone please?

    Would be very grateful

    Thanks

    Ray

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayGuselli View Post
    Hi

    I am thinking of buying a high definition camcorder (Sony or Canon) and have a hi def tv to play video on.

    However, I am not sure which route to go down - can you help please.

    1st, whichever camcorder I buy I would like to edit movies....I will buy a package that does this...but, when I burn to dvd, am I getting a Hi-def DVD?
    No you won't. I'm not aware of any prosumer packages for building high def DVDs or Blu-ray DVDs.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayGuselli View Post
    Do I need to buy a new DVD burner to get Hi-def or will my trusty but old Pioneer 106 work?
    The 106 is a good workhorse. A little dated and slow now but a decent enough drive. It cannot be used to burn high def DVD. however, you can brun data DVDs and if your 'data file' happens tobe a high def wmv or whatever then it will burn it. Your set top box will not recognise this though.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayGuselli View Post
    If I have to get a new dv burner, will the disks need a hi-def dvd burner to play them on the TV?

    Alternatively, I could buy a camcorder which used tapes...could I then edit in hi-def and input from the pc back to camcorder tape and play that into tv as hi-def?
    I do not know of a high def camera that does nto write to tape - unless of course you pass straight through the camera on to some firestore device. But you're right, at the moment if you edit a high def movie your best mechanism to playting it back on your super whizzo TV is to write it back to tape and play it from the camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayGuselli View Post
    Another camcorder had dvd burner incorporated but to play the dvd you need a blue ray player - do not have one?

    Does this mean that I have to buy a blue ray player whichever route I go down...

    In short, what do I need to edit hi-def ivideos and play them back on a hi=def TV please?

    hjelp would be much appreciated if possible and I look forward to hearing from you.

    I apologise if this is a prtetty basic question but don't want to make a wrong purchase!

    Thanks a lot
    See above. your best bet right now is write back to tape in your camera.

    Do not let the fact that you cannot deliver high def to your audience just yet put you off. For thge last year I only work in high def. I edit everything in high def and then as the last step, downscale my result to standard def to burn to DVD for delivery. When the blu-ray vs hjgh def DVD war os soprted I'll get the necessary drive and all I need do then is re-open my project and export it again in the right format..
    Ray[/QUOTE]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Barrow in Furness Cumbria U.K.
    Posts
    7

    Default Thank you Alan..........

    I am fairly used to photographic editing etc and spend a lot of time in CS2 etc but this I have found a moinefield and your help and advice is very much appreciated.

    Whilst I have used basic packages for video editing (Studio, Magix etc) I am keen to do something with my camvorder to exploit the benefoit of HD TV....(having seen fantastic quality images in store etc)

    I was looking at the Sony HD camcorder which has a 30gb hard drive but it seems that I may be better going down the route of tape if I want to replay in Hi def and do so, as you say, fropm the tape in camera...having put back out the finished product from my pc.

    I am therefre very grateful for your hel Alan as I was going to jump for the HD version - that may not be the right route to go down now...

    Hope I have understood you corectly....

    Once again...my thanks
    Best wishes

    Ray

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,191

    Default

    My apologies. Seems you meant HD for Hard Drive rather than for High Def as I assumed. Sorry for the misleading reply.

    I have no experience of hard drive cameras so can offer nothing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Do you actually need HD? Dont forget an ordinary DV tape camera has a much much better picture than transmitted digital TV.

    Decent 3 chip SD DV ca,eras around 500 quid can produce amazing results.

Similar Threads

  1. confused...
    By jjeennyy in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2007, 05:24 PM
  2. Confused
    By digital77 in forum Pimp the Link
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
  3. confused
    By danherz in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
  4. Still Confused - Please help
    By TOM1341 in forum Blu Ray, DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 07:47 AM
  5. Getting right confused I am
    By jazzy in forum The Perfect Video Editing PC
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •