Thread: Timewarp snag

Default Timewarp snag

Anyone used the Timewarp effect in AE 7? It’s a brilliant effect that creates in-between frames based on calculated movement of previous frames, but I hit an annoying snag – it seems to lop off the last few seconds of a clip.

With the ‘Time-stretch’ effect you have to add to the length of the comp to allow for the increased time of the slo-mo – but this doesn’t seem to happen with Timewarp.

Get the feeling I’m missing something glaringly obvious (as I often do), but I managed to Timewarp a whole 1-minute segment only by doing it piece-by-piece. It worked, but it’s not ideal. What have I overlooked? Any advice appreciated.

^^before you import the clip in AE, put it in Premire and cut the last frame. Then slow that last frame down to make the footage last as long as you want the final fottage to be..then hold then last frame... then do the timewarp effect in AE - because the fotage now has a longer lengh it shouldnt cut the last few seconds off.. then when your finished doing the slow motion just cut the comp to a lengh that suits you..

^^thats the way i've done it in the past and its worked fine.. but since then Ive used twixtor - which I highly recomend!!!
    Last edited by innocent_bystander; 12-13-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Ta for the reply, your suggestion is pretty much what I did – except for tailing each bit with a still frame. The original is a length of CCTV footage with time indicator, so assembling the finished bits was made easy.

Yep, Twixtor has been mentioned many times on the forum. Overkill for this particular task, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony A View Post
    Ta for the reply, your suggestion is pretty much what I did – except for tailing each bit with a still frame. The original is a length of CCTV footage with time indicator, so assembling the finished bits was made easy.

Yep, Twixtor has been mentioned many times on the forum. Overkill for this particular task, though.
    Tony,

Since I've got AE7 I've not used the time stretch feature. When I read through all the "what's new" type stuff though it looked suspiciously like the interface and the level of control was very similar to twixtor. Is it much different then?

I remember when I had a play with twixtor a while ago (in PPro1.5) that your workflow revolved around the fact that applying twixtor would NEVER increase the play length of your clip. To slow the whole thing down you had to append a black video (or anything really) then apply that sequence as a sequence in sequence and put twixtor on that so that your 5 second clip is now acvtually a ten second clip meaning you can successfully slow it down to half speed and still see it all. I would presume that time-stretch would work similar.

Not to self: about time you tried this for yourself Alan.

^^ thats excatly right. they both work the same - the only re-timing softerware ive used that doesnt work in this way is riealviz re:timer which changes the lengh of the clip as the speeds change.

Cheers, this all adds to the knowledge pool. Never come across ‘realviz’. Alan, I figure you must have used Twixtor in the opening sequence of CSI Bracknell?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony A View Post
    Alan, I figure you must have used Twixtor in the opening sequence of CSI Bracknell?
    Good spot. All in high def, it took an age!