Thread: Your Lighting Kits

Default Your Lighting Kits

Don't know whether this is the correct forum to put it in, but here goes. I'm interested to know what lighting do you all have in your kits. I have kinoflo lookalikes that do a nice job but are difficult to produce a 'moody' look. Thinking of going back to good ol' tungstens with flood snd spot options.

Moody look you say well you need the right diffusors my friend. They help change the amount of lighting coming out and they can change the color too so try investing in some of those.

Here is an example of some of the things i'm talking about
    http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3348001

or here
    http://stores.ebay.com/Belger-Photog...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I hope this helps
    We are ready to shock the world

Thanks Thunder, some nice things on those links

Blog Entries

At the risk of sounding pretentious...

If you can afford it... Get a couple of Dedolights!

My "daily" kit consists of a pair of dedolights, a Kino-flo Divalight and a redhead.
    The redhead (an arrilite 800) only comes out if I have to blast an area "quick and dirty" or need to bounce it off a ceiling to bring up the levels in a room. Otherwise eveything can be done with the Kino and the Dedos.

The Dedolights have improved my lighting no end, mainly because you have so much control. Yes it was expensive but I got so fed up trying to create interesting stuff using the "standard" kit of three 650 fresnels that, in the end, I splashed out the cash and haven't regretted a penny of it.

Edit: One thing I noticed is that the Dedos are a lot more efficient than the fresnels, a lot easier to work with, and don't get anywhere near as hot! Being smaller, they take up a lot less room too (and NO, I'm not a rep for Dedo!) The only down side is that they don't go as wide as a fresnel, but a bit of "spun silk" sorts that out.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-13-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips.

I usually use good old site lights but as my aspirations increase to include more set up and better produced stuff I may be purchasing something soon (ish).

I'd certainly sing the praises of Dedos but with one caveat. I've had two Dedos in my lighting kit (along with a Lowell Totalight and Chimera + 3 x Arri 800's) for 8 years now and in that time I've had to replace the transformers for the Dedos no less than 6 times..and they aint cheap!

I've been looking at dedos. Was thinking of getting a 650, two of the small 150's and an arri 300. I went and had a look at them and as you say Guru, the flood is not great. I want to do video and stills from the same lights and was getting a reading just under 5.6 from the keylight at about the distant i'd need it from the subject. The 650 key with no diffusion was a bit harsh so as you say a bit of silk or hampshire frost in front would be the thing to do but take the reading down again from 5.6 (which is about the minimum I need).

Blog Entries

I hear what you say!

Most of the indoor stuff I do, would be at 2.8 or so, mainly because I like to have the background a bit unsharp (difficult with video but I don't like to see everything pin sharp) but that's just my taste. If there's movement then 5.6 is an advantage and the Dedos probably aren't the right thing for moving subjects in a small room. I've got a couple of photoflex starlite units for location stuff with moving subjects but it's a softlight and not what you're looking for.

http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_P...t_1/index.html

The problem with having a varied lighting kit is that you need to have so many different spare bulbs! Personally, I don't rate the 300 fresnel that much, they don't kick out that much light and aren't all that controlable (in my opinion) I'd rather spend the extra and go for the Dedos.

It's just that I've also gone off the larger (650 and 1k) fresnels recently, firstly because they're so inefficient (working in an appartment or hotel room you soon exceed the fuses with a set of fresnels) and they get quite hot. A few years ago the "standard" kit was a couple of 650 fresnels, and an Arrilite 800 with a softbox. Well over 2000w of power! That's why I made up my own "low power" kit and I'm pleasantly surprised that it kicks out amost as light as what I used before, with half the power consumption.

Since you've got your Kino-copy for a soft source, how about putting an "egg crate" in front of it to stop the spill and make it more directional, yet still keeping it soft.

I really have become a fan of the Dedolights over the past couple of years and have found that the mixture of the Kino-Divalight and the Dedos services most of my "small location" lighting needs. In the cellar I've got so many types of lights which I bought, used a few times, then forgot. I must dump them on ebay.

But then... I might need them one day, you never know.

Right, I think I'm definately going gor the dedos ( a 650 plus 2 of the 150's). I was going also for the 300 arri to make the 4 light head up but you got me thinking Guru with what you said about it. Was going to use it as a kicker or effect light. Is there a lot of difference between the output of the arri 300 from the Dedo 150's ? By the way this is the look I'm after, but with more animate subjects. Took the pic using 2 cigarette lighters with a blue light in them at one end and a household torch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Nice picture!

I don't think that there's any advantage in getting the Arri 300. I have a set of 3 in my cellar and I haven't used them this year. I really would spend the extra and go for a Dedolight. The Dedo (in my opinion) puts out more light than the 300 and has a great zoom ratio. It's also much more controlable. I know it costs quite a bit more, but I use my Dedos nearly every day, the Arris...

I don't want to sound like a salesman for Dedolight but I love 'em.