Thread: Vegas question, face blur

Default Vegas question, face blur

Does anyone know how to blur or black out a face in vegas?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sk3ptic View Post
    Does anyone know how to blur or black out a face in vegas?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
    This is one of the more "hands-on" required methods. No automatic-pilot in Vegas for this one. You are going to have to sync the blurred/pixeled area yourself. Any movement of the face and you will need to relocate the blurring/pixels. Other packages do have "movement" registers to make this automatic.

I guess this is to make somebody anonymous or to hide their identity ? Blurring IS one way to do it. I've tried it, but have found the following methods a bit more thorough. However once you;ve got a grip on the following I'll also explain BLURRING too.

What I do is place on Track 1 a generated Solid Media - white or fleshy is good - covering Track 2 Video Event.

Track1 (T1)= Generated Media - choose a solid colour

Track2 (T2)= Video Event ( "Face" for making anonymous/blurred)

Apply Cookie Cutter Fx to T1 Event.

Shape = "Oval Side" shape - this will kinda cover a "face" shape

Method = Cut away all but section

Here you are going to adjust 2 things that you will need to jump from one to another:

Size = Alter the size of the Oval to size of the face.

Position = Now by hand, grab the small SQUARE in the Cookie Cutter Window, and move the OVAL over the face.

As I say you may well need to switch back and forth between SIZE and this position function to hit the most appropriate effect. It is rather fun too!

Now all of this works fine, but IF the face is moving you will then need to adjust on-the-fly using the positional function.

Other "tweaks" are to slightly Feather the cookie cutter edge; more appropriately colour match the WHIOTE to that of the Face colour using the Colour Picker; change the GenMed to Chequer Board! Here you could alter the size and shape of the Chequers over time so that they move PLUS add some pixelate too!

OK, if you STILL want to BLUR, then substitute the GenMEd Event for a copy of your video Event and add Gaussian blur and adjust.

So, Blurs, Pixelations, Colour Masks and so on .. it's your call.

( who said that! )

3. Default

Thank you. Nice advice. I found that the gaussian blur works fine. Perhaps it is going to take a lot more processor power/time to render when compared to the white/face colour circle.

I took a video of my son at kindergarten and would like to put it on Youtube. But every now and again someone else's child's face appears. I would like to blur them out. But I guess I am faced with creating several extra video tracks.

Since they move quite a bit I think that it is going to be too difficult.

Red face Possible simpler approach

You can do this a lot more flexibly if you use a mask instead. You'll need to overlay 2 copies of the video, the top one should contain the masks you need to create the blurred areas (you can actually apply any effect you want). I'll post a screencap or two to illustrate how this will look. The main learning curve here is with the menu and controls for altering the masks from one step to the next. It need not take that much time, especially if you can designate large areas to pixelate.

From the Vegas editing process:

You may be able to see this screencap more clearly on Flickr @ Video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLz02QapY-s"] Blurring the Innocent & Guilty[/ame]

Hope this helps somewhat. Please let me know if further explanation or screencaps would make this a bit more clear?
    Last edited by ebbixx; 06-03-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarification/formatting

5. Default

Dear ebbixx

Thank you very much indeed.

As it happens, I came to exactly the same conclusion, upon viewing
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnTDtETMgg"]YouTube - Sony Vegas Tutorial - Masking! Masking! Masking![/ame]
    especially right at the end (from 10:17)

And I managed to mask out a face. But for some reason, while when I put a clear colour on a video track below the masked video it worked fine (showing the masked area in the solid color) but when I put a blurred version of the original it did not work; the masked appearing black instead. I am not sure why but I I persevered, I would probably be able to work it out.

The advantage of masking is that you can mask the exact size of the face rather than an oval. But after that it is not a lot different to using Picture in Picture, oval or circular mask, I think. Since the faces in my video are pretty circular I was thinking of using circles especially since I am having trouble with the gaussian blur under my mask.

I had hoped that one might be able to create more than one mask using the pan/crop and masking tool. It is possible to create multipe circles using the mask. But it becomes difficult to move the masked areas unless one moves the whole multiple-holed (multipe face) mask together. I.e. the holes seem to move in unison. I am probably missing something.

It would be great to have some tool that allowed us to track a face with our mouse pointer during a special playback-and-record mode, and to have recorded the keyframes for us so that one does not have to create all those keyframes one by one. (Similarly when creating a flash animation, it would be great to be able to move the object-to-be-animated during playback-and-record mode, and have the FLASH creation tool (Swish or Adobe FLASH) remember where the object was and then create all the FLASH keyframes. But in both Vegas and Swish and FLASH animation or motion appears to be someone that one has to do frame by frame. )
    Last edited by timtak; 06-04-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timtak View Post
    I had hoped that one might be able to create more than one mask using the pan/crop and masking tool. It is possible to create multipe circles using the mask. But it becomes difficult to move the masked areas unless one moves the whole multiple-holed (multipe face) mask together. I.e. the holes seem to move in unison. I am probably missing something.
    You can select which bits of the mask to move, right down to individual nodes. In fact this is crucial if you're doing any work where you're lifting a character from one video and placing it on another.

Alternatively, if you just have two "circles" that you want to move independently as you describe above, just put them on different tracks.
    Tim

7. Default

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Alternatively, if you just have two "circles" that you want to move independently as you describe above, just put them on different tracks.
    Yes, you are right, I can move invidual nodes. But if moving another face (or "circle") then I would have to move all the nodes in the second or third circle, which would be pretty much impossible.

But, aha, in the mask select menu there is "path" that allows me to select just one of the circles. By way of practice I tried masking the face and breasts of the woman with the masked genitals in the Shining:

Vegas Mask Path on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The above is in vegas 7. I have 8 at home and am wondering if there were not another selection option, possibly "track" (so I am not quite sure what you mean by "put them in different tracks" above).

Manipulating masks and following motion is tricky. The least I need a short cut key for "select path."
    Last edited by timtak; 06-04-2010 at 09:32 AM.

One thing I noticed in your still from Vegas was that you used a Negative mask, while if you look at the details for my example I'm using a Positive mask, and then just applying specific FX to the (overlaid) masking track as a whole.

I think I'll play with the project a bit more to see what some of the problems would be with dealing with more than one discrete Path on a single track, vs. assigning masks to separate tracks. It does seem like the first option ought to be simpler, since it would allow for dealing with just one set of master FX on a single track?

It takes a bit of messing with the various controls to get used to dealing with them, but each path can be moved and stretched independently. Things you need to watch out for include any previous keyframes that might erase your newly added, separate paths. As long as you use a Positive mask, though, you can apply any of the available FX to your masking track, and the effects will be limited to the positive area (inside) the path, instead of the areas outside. With a negative mask, you're mostly limited to darkening and making the inside of the paths black and opaque to varying degrees, depending on the settings chosen for each path, which may be easier in some cases, but tends to be very limiting.

Here's another example, though all the added and modified masking starts after 35 secs or so. I used the Pixelate FX and Color Corrector, shifting hues, saturation, gain and gamma for the track as a whole.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQIjW4aZGs"]Testing Masks One More Time[/ame]
    Last edited by ebbixx; 06-04-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: minor detail correction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timtak View Post
    The above is in vegas 7. I have 8 at home and am wondering if there were not another selection option, possibly "track" (so I am not quite sure what you mean by "put them in different tracks" above).
    What you are after is called "Motion Tracking" where you match up points on two different video tracks and get the points on one to follow ("track") the points on the other.
    This is quite high powered stuff and for all the stuff that Vegas does do, motion tracking isn't one of them, I'm afraid.

What I was talking about when I mentioned "put them on different tracks" works thus:

Suppose you want to blur out 2 faces which you mask with your circles.

Have thre tracks containing the video.
    On track 1 create a mask and blur for face A.
    On track 2 create a blur and mask for face B.
    Track 3 is just the main video.

This doesn't really give you anything extra over selecting one circle or the other, though it might just be a bit quicker.

However this would be the way to do it if you were using the cookie cutter method - and let's not forget those who aren't fortunate enough to have Vegas Pro and thus don't have Bezier Masks.
    Tim

10. Default

Thank you very much ebbixx, TimStannard

In the end I am afraid I just cut the parts of the video which had all the faces in! It was too much work.

But playing with the pan and crop tool was very educational.

I found out for example that applying some movement automatically creates a keyframe.

I think that in retrospect, as TimStanndard says, if I were going to apply multiple masks I would probably use multiple tracks.